Saturday, January 31, 2009

No Rest For The Weary

It never ends.

Today makes 13 days out of the last 15 that I've worked. Yeah, I was supposed to be off tonight, but get real--it's Super Bowl weekend, the bad beat jackpot is over 200K, and the losing hand is down to sixes. Every poker room in town is gonna be packed to the gills this weekend, which means that I'll be working.

In fact, Carmen had talked about maybe going to play in a poker tournament together this weekend, but I had to say no, just because I was *sure* I'd get called in to work. And I actually ended up working a split shift yesterday--I got home from the previous shift around six in the morning, and yet I got another call at 8:15 at night, and they told me to get down there as soon as possible, regardless of the overtime issues. When I walked in, every single table in the room was full--that rarely happens. Hell, there was one table in the corner that we almost never use--it hasn't had a game going on it since before Christmas, and that was my first table of the night.

Although it was slammed in there last night, it didn't have legs, and by midnight we were down to just four games and I got to bail out after just three hours, which was just fine with me. When I left, I was tempted to go out and hook up with some friends, but man, I was just too tired. I drove straight home, even resisting the urge to stop and top off my tank at the last $1.99-per-gallon gas available in the area, and went straight back to bed. I opened the laptop to check the mail, but fell asleep less than five minutes later, face down in front of the keyboard.

It was great to be able to sleep in today, but just a little while ago, I heard my phone going off with that familiar poker-room ringtone. I was like Are you f*cking kidding me? I just got off at midnight!

But it wasn't as bad as I thought. It was the day shift floor manager calling to tell me that I'd *definitely* be working tonight, so I shouldn't make any plans. No problemo there--at least now I know for sure. But he said he didn't know what time they'd need me exactly, but that somebody would call me by 4 o'clock this afternoon. So yeah--at some point, I'll be heading back to the poker room, hopefully earning a whole lotta cash.

Like you can imagine, yesterday was pretty much a sleepless day. Once I got home from work, I did some writing, and then I had to go hook up with Drew for lunch at Grimaldi's. Actually, it was him, his wife, and another gal who was a Vegas virgin. His wife is actually out here on business, but she got introduced to the goodness of Grimaldi's on her last visit, and once she found out that we were going, she totally blew off her afternoon meetings and made it a foursome.

Lunch was great, as usual, and we had a lot of fun trying to kill the Peroni keg while talking about all things Vegas and the Caribbean. Seriously--try and come up with a better way to kill an afternoon than hanging out at Grimaldi's with friends, eating excellent pizza, drinking cold draft beer, and telling stories and sharing experiences from Vegas and the Caribbean. It was so enjoyable that the sleep deprivation didn't bother me a bit.

Once I got home, however, I was spent. I slept straight through until the bat-phone rang again, summoning me to a crisis in the poker room.

So that's my life right now--work, catnap, work, a little bit of social interaction, work some more. Tomorrow I have the chance for a bit of social interaction again, though. For the first time since I've been here, I won't have to work during the Super Bowl (or immediately at the end of it), so I'm gonna spend the day with friends watching the game and grubbing on various munchables, while diluting my Coke with copious amounts of rum. Luckily the game will end by 7:00 pm or so, giving me enough time to come home and snooze it off before going back to work at 1:00 in the morning.

At this point, it looks like Wednesday is my next day off.


No comments: