Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Lost Monday

I had every intention of doing a bunch of writing, getting all my chores done, and being fully productive yesterday. But alas, it was not to be. As you can imagine, I was pretty tired on Sunday night, and went to bed pretty early.

Of course, that means I woke up early on Monday morning--like 3:30 in the morning, so I popped in a movie. I watched that Capricorn One DVD that I got last month, and oh holy hell, I was eye-poppingly shocked at what a lame movie it was. Seriously--it was hard to believe that they got away with that crap in the 70's. I'm afraid to watch any of the old 'Airport' movies now.

I remember back in the 70's when that movie came out--it was released the same time as Jason & the Argonauts, and my and my brother Reverend Dave saw that while the parents and the older siblings saw Capricorn One on Saturday afternoon. At some point several years later, I must've caught it on cable or something, but I didn't remember it being such a bad movie from top to bottom--bad script, plot holes all over the place, no continuity... Ah well. I asked for it. It's out of my system now, though.

Once the movie was over, I watched a little ESPN, surfed the web, and sipped my coffee before falling back to sleep until 12:19 pm. How do I know the exact time? Because my phone was ringing and I looked at the clock. It was the floorman in the poker room calling to tell me that he needed me to be at work forty minutes later.

Damn.

So I jumped up and took a speed shower, got dressed, and headed out the door. It didn't seem so busy when I got there, but it was extremely steady all afternoon and into the evening. In fact, it got much busier as the afternoon wore on. I didn't get a break until 4:30 or so, and I was starving by then. I grabbed some Chinese food and hid in the corner, but then a few minutes later my gal Lori came wandering by, and since I hardly get to see her anymore, she stayed to visit for a bit. That was nice, and much too soon my free time was spent. I ended up working past 9:00 and I was one tuckered out little trooper when the day was done. But it was a good day--I didn't get any big tips, only one redbird all day--but it was steady and when I counted it all up at the end of the shift, I had over two bills. I'll take it, especially since I wasn't expecting to work at all on Monday.

On the way home, I finally remembered to go to the grocery store and get my crackers, along with a few other things like coffee creamer and Coke. On the downside, however, WalMart doesn't sell sweet-hot mustard. And spicy brown mustard, as good as it is, doesn't go so well with beef stick. I guess I gotta go to one of them fancy-schmancy grocery stores with an apostrophe in its name if I want to find some proper mustard to go with my hunk-o-meat.

Once I finally got home, I made a small cocktail (didn't wanna take a chance of falling asleep again and wasting all that booze), took a shower, and managed to stay awake long enough to watch last nights episode of 24.

I got a bit of sleep, but these mixed shifts just fark with my system, so I was tossing and turning most of the night. I'm wide awake now, but I'm going to try and go back to sleep for a few hours this morning. I have to work again this afternoon, and I've got a feeling that it's going to be another long one.

And then I've got to go back and do graveyard shifts for the rest of the week, starting late Wednesday night.

That's all for now.

Mikey

No comments: