Thursday, June 01, 2006

A Quick Update

The breakfast dishes are done, the laundry is laundering, my bed is made, and I've got a steaming cup of Don Francisco's finest Hawaiian hazelnut sitting next to me on my desk. Can't think of a better reason to sit here and get some bloggin' done.

First thing. The sled finally got towed away off the side of the road to one of the myriad impound/storage lots that dot the countryside up in North Las Vegas. In order to get it out and towed to a salvage yard it would cost me much more than I would get from selling it to Monster Joe. So I'll just let the authorities keep it and eventually sell it at auction at some point in the distant future. So I'm officially done with the Ghetto Sled.

The plus side of having no transportation is the fact that being stuck at home keeps me from spending any money. I budgeted a couple hundred bucks for the week's buffoonery with Angy, George & Marlisha, and Scott & Alice Lee. Now that it's over, I still have $80 in my wallet and no way to spend it. And all of the extra money in the checking account is getting transferred to savings once the bank figures out this month's fees and the last of the credit cards charges hit. I've also realized that I don't really need to keep a rental car around for my days off. I've got one reserved for two weeks starting next Friday, but I think I'm just going to keep it for maybe just one week or even five days instead. I'll use it when Cyndi & David are here, get all of my shopping errands done after they leave, then just take it back to Thrifty and save another $150 or so.

Although, I'd like to keep it for a few days so I can go back to poker dealing school to knock the rust off and touch base with everyone. Candy, the fellow student that came to my rescue on the side of the road that fateful night, called me last night wondering when I was coming back to school. We talked for quite a bit about job openings and such, but in retrospect I think that the breakdown was timed perfectly. I was just about to go and start auditioning for new jobs, and I shudder to think what would have happened had I got an offer and then suddenly had no way of getting to and from a day job. That would've been a real obstacle to overcome.

Speaking of new poker jobs, they're still tough to come by right now. The only places I see that are currently hiring are Bally's and O'sheas, although another buddy of mine just got a job secondhand smoking and pitching the cards to the geezers at the El Cortez. Can't say that's the path I would take, but I have the luxury of being a choosy mother.

Ideally, around the end of August I'll get a new ride, then two weeks later fall ass-backwards into a $200-a-day poker job at someplace fun like the Plaza, and life will be good. However, I doubt it's gonna work out quite the way I hope for. We'll see.

Mikey

No comments: