Tuesday, November 25, 2008

It's The Shoes!


All of my latest purchases have now arrived. I got the last package this morning when I left the house. Sitting on my porch was box from UPS--my new Reeboks that I ordered last week from Amazon.

Here's the thing with me and shoes. I hate hate hate all of the stupid athletic shoes they've had on the market for the past several years. It's like every time a new shoe comes out, it's gotta look like something straight out of the ghetto. Either that, or a hip-hop video. And I hate that shit. I want plain old white tennis shoes. Experience has taught me that as good as Nikes are, they don't fit me as well as Reeboks, nor do they last as long. And I used to like K-Swiss also, but when they started putting gold-plated eyelets where the laces go, I was done with them. And New Balance shoes just downright suck. So I prefer Reeboks. Just my personal choice. But Reebok, like every other shoe manufacturer out there, has decided that all of their shoes, except for the truly purpose-built althetic models, must look 'urban' and edgy.

F*ck that. I want shoes that white people would wear.

Oh, I'll admit, back in the 80's, I wore my Reebok high-tops unlaced just like Run-DMC, but then again, those guys had some talent. And I was young and dumb back then, too. Hell, I had zipper pants and a keyboard tie, so I can't be held responsible for my taste in fashion.

So after looking high and low, I finally found those shoes last week and ordered a pair. Believe me, they're not always available. I seriously considered buying two pair, just because who knows what kind of shiat they're gonna be trying to sell me in a couple of years. So I'm happy now. I've got some decent shoes that look decent and are very comfortable too. And I don't look like some wannabe tool on MTV when I wear them, either.

Anyhow, I grabbed my shoes and headed off, making sure I looked in the rear-view mirror before I pulled out of my driveway. I hit the grocery store, got a couple of necessary items (like a box of Bounce dryer sheets), and while I was there I saw that they had Vernor's Ginger Ale in cans! Oh hell yeah, that stuff is amazingly good, so I picked up a six-pack for my mini-fridge.

After making my purchases, I wandered across the parking lot to Pie Town Pizza for lunch. I had to get another one of those awesome Polish dogs with sauteed onions and mustard. It was just as good as the first one I had last week. I also got a single slice of their thin-crust pepperoni pizza. It was very good, but of course, nothing compares to the mother of all pizza at Grimaldi's. But for Chicago corner-joint thin crust, the kind they usually cut into squares, it's pretty damn good.

I considered getting another deep dish to go to eat later tonight and tomorrow, but I was so full from lunch that it didn't sound good at all. But again, it was an enjoyable lunch, and made even more fun by talking to one of the guys who worked there who was telling me stories from when he used to drive the 'L' train.

After lunch, I headed back towards the house, looking for that $1.96 gas I saw last night on the way home. But nope, apparently the guys at Chevron were a bit hasty in their price-dropping, and it was back up to $1.99 today. Just up the block at the 7-11 however, I found unleaded for $1.97, so I went there and put thirty bucks worth in my tank. It almost filled it up, not quite, but it was close enough.

Now I'm back at the house, just chillin', hoping the phone rings. I could use another shift.

Mikey

No comments: