Friday, November 07, 2008

Down Goes Frazier!

I've fallen and I can't get up...

Yep, Mikey is down for the count this weekend--I picked up some kind of nasty bug the other day and it has completely laid me out. I felt a tickle in my throat that night I did the split shift, but when I got up the next morning, I had a full-on sore throat and stuffed-up sinuses. Then the coughing started, now the aches, and the worst part is that I can't keep any food or drink in me, either. Not that I'm eating much--yesterday all I had were three granola bars, some coffee, and an energy drink.

Last night at work was the worst. I stopped at Walgreen's on the way in and bought some more drugs because I was feeling awful (bringing my running total to over $50 I've spent this week on various medical voodoo ingredients), and I loaded up before hitting the poker room. I've got cough medicine. I've got nasal spray. I've got sore-throat lozenges. I've got Zycam spray. I've got Sudafed and Alka-Seltzer Plus. I am a walking over-the-counter pharmacy, and I'm good to go.

But it was a slow night in the poker room, and I only worked a half-shift before the game finally broke, which, by the way, I was totally cool with. I really wanted to go home and go back to bed. I was half-crocked on medication, tired, and feeling like crap.

I was very happy to leave when I did--my game wasn't very juicy anyways. When I was leaving, I realized how hungry I was, so I thought that the logical thing to do was to get some spicy food to fill the hole with the added bonus of clearing my sinuses. So I stopped at a local 24-hour joint for an order of hot wings. Big mistake! I mean, they were great, at the time, but the feeling of well-being didn't last very long. It was like a race with the devil to get home and get to the bathroom before I redecorated the interior of my truck and ruined a perfectly good pair of work shoes. Do you have any idea how hard it is to duck-walk when you have to climb a flight of stairs? It's no fun, trust me. I felt a lot like Jeff Daniels in Dumb & Dumber. You know the part I'm talking about...



Couple that with a fever and body aches, and you'll see that my day is not shaping up to be very enjoyable. So my plan for now is to do nothing but lie in bed, take my drugs, and drink bottled water and apple juice all day long. My head hurts, my nose is stuffed up, and I can't eat anything. But this too shall pass. I just hope there's something good on TV, because I don't plan on moving for a couple of days.

Mikey

No comments: