Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Lost and Found

Yeah, I'm thinking I probably should've disabled my alarm clock before I went to bed last night, because I'm up at 5:00 am for no good reason. I'm not scheduled to work today, but I'm on call. And they ain't callin' this morning, I can almost guarantee that.

Since I've decided to take a short hiatus from the poker game, it's left me with a bunch of free time that I wasn't aware that I had. First of all, I got plenty of sleep last night, which is why I'm wide awake right now. Also, it's given me time to think about other little projects to do, and I've also got time to do some reading someplace besides the small tiled library that adjoins my bedroom.

One of the projects I've slowly been working my way through is to rip all of my CDs to my computer, and in turn organize them into different playlists and load them onto my iPod. So far I've got my Jimmy Buffett collection loaded, along with all of my U2, Erasure, Duran Duran, a 'Road Trip' compilation, a party tunes playlist, random favorites, and all of my Christmas music too.

The one that's bothered me, however, is that I looked high and low for one of my missing Buffett CDs, and I couldn't find my Essential Dean Martin double CD, either. And that one is an integral part of my 'Vegas 1961' collection. I had a huge cardboard box full of hundreds of CDs, and I went through the whole thing the other day, plus looked in my 100-CD wallet I usually carry in my truck, and couldn't find 'em anywhere. Hell, the other night I even got up in the middle of the night with a flashlight and went down to my truck, checking all of the door pockets and under the seats, hoping to find a clue to their whereabouts. No luck.

So that's been bothering me for several days. But last night I was lying awake thinking about where I could've possibly put those CDs, and it hit me. When I was moving, I packed up everything on my desk into three different shoeboxes, and one of them was full of CDs. I just had to find the storage tote full of shoeboxes. It wasn't down in the garage, it was sitting in my bedroom closet the entire time. But it was a minor jackpot to find it, because there were plenty of others in there that I'd forgotten about--some Clapton, Tommy Shaw, Frank Sinatra, Johnnie Cash, etc. So now I'm fairly certain that I've located every missing CD in my collection. Now I just have to get them all ripped and organized.

Anyhow, when I woke up this morning, I was extremely thirsty. Not wanting to put on a pot of coffee, I went down to the kitchen and fixed a tall glass of juice on ice. While I was shopping the other day, I picked up a carton of 'Pina Colada Juice', which is just a mixture of tropical fruit juices, heavy on the the pineapple and coconut. I came back up here, took one sip, and thought, hey, this is missing something. Oh yeah... Now I remember.

So does that make me a drunken degenerate to be sitting here sipping on rum-spiked juice at 5:00 am on a Wednesday morning? I justify it by telling myself that 1) it's my day off, 2) I haven't drank drunk had any rum in several days, and 3) it's five o'clock somewhere!

I'm not totally irresponsible however. Before I mixed in the good stuff, I called work just to make sure I wouldn't be pitching the cards anytime soon, and they confirmed that I was off the hook, at least for day shift. And since I have to be in tomorrow morning at six, I won't be working swing shift tonight, either.

Game on!

So I'm gonna enjoy my juice, maybe surf the internet for awhile, do a bit of reading, and once the roomie is up and out of the house, I'll start doing noisy stuff like laundry and puttering around in the garage. At some point today I've got to get my truck washed and get the oil changed--I'm about 500 miles past due on that little chore, and I've got that long drive ahead of me this weekend. And the truck is absolutely filthy--I haven't washed it all summer long, and instead of it's regular pretty garnet metallic paint job, it looks more like desert camo.

That's all for now.

Mikey

No comments: