Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Can't Fight It

I guess it's probably a combination of routine and paranoia, but I just can't sleep. I've been awake all night, and as hard as I've tried to fall asleep, it just won't happen for me. It seems that my phone is always ringing in the middle of the night, calling me in to work, and even though business is somewhat slow right now and I'm fairly certain I won't have to work today, there's still that off-chance that they'll need me. And since I'm always up at this hour anyways, well, my system wants to be awake, no matter how much I need to rest.

So I've got Brother Jimmy providing the background music, and I put a pot of coffee on, and here I am, alone with my keyboard.

After my roommate got home yesterday afternoon and I informed him of how ill-behaved the critters were while he was gone, he set about taking care of business. First of all, we steam-cleaned the carpets in the loft, and after that he installed a baby-gate at the top of the stairs. But not just any baby-gate, this one got screwed to the wall, has hinges, and we can secure it with a bungee cord. If one of the canines wants to get up here now, they're gonna have to crash the gate at full speed and tear it out of the wall.

There ain't no way they're gonna get up here now. No more jumping up on my bed in the middle of the night, either, begging for me to play.

Speaking of baby-gate, I think I'm gonna spend a good portion of my day cruising around the internet, entertaining myself watching the far-left freaks just come absolutely unhinged about our next Vice President. As much as I despised the crooks from Arkansas back in the 90's, I never flipped by shit over a political figure like some of these folks have. I can only shake my head in disbelief when I read some of the comments I've seen on different political websites. Hell, even though my affiliations run to the right side of the aisle, I vowed several years ago that I'd never vote for Grumpy John, and I was tempted to sit this one out. But after hearing Friday's announcement, watching the acceptance speech, and then doing a little research, not only have I gotten off the proverbial couch, but I busted out the MasterCard and sent in a generous campaign donation--something I haven't done in over eight years.

(BTW, that previous paragraph was not an invitation to use my comment section as a political forum. Respectful comments are welcome, no matter what point of view. Remarks from feces-flinging monkeys will be deleted with extreme prejudice and your IP addresses will be blocked. One paragraph does NOT make this a political website, but you know, my house, my rules).

Anyhow, once the upstairs part of the house was cleaned and secured, I played in a cheapie online tournament while watching the UCLA/Tennessee game, but I bubbled out to a better hand and a bigger chip stack. Then I saw that Sticky and Steve B were also playing poker, so I spent the rest of my evening watching them--it was cheaper than chasing cards which obviously don't want to land on me right now anyways.

As far as today goes, I've got a couple of errands to run--I've got to pick up a couple of pairs of work pants from the alteration shop, and I've got a couple of pairs of shorts to drop off in their stead. I may get the oil changed in the truck too, as it's about 500 miles overdue, and as a lucky coincidence, the Express Lube place is just across the street from the alterations shop. And right next door is a Lee's Discount Liquor store, and even though I have about 25 bottles of rum on hand, I'm out of my favorite, Mt. Gay from Barbados, so I'm gonna pick up a bottle of the Good Stuff.

And the temperature is gonna be a bit milder tonight, so I think it'll be a perfect opportunity to mix up a cocktail, grab a fine cigar, and sit out on the balcony enjoying the lights of the city for a couple of hours. I might as well be drinking my favorite rum while I'm smoking one of my favorite cigars and gazing out at my favorite city. If only my favorite gal were here to join me, it'd be a perfect evening. But alas, that is not to be, for she is engaged in a more noble cause this night--delivering free booze to gamblers, nurturing that wellspring of currency that flows like a river through this fine city, thus enabling me to maintain the lifestyle to which I've become accustomed.

Anyhow...

I'm actually looking forward to getting out of the house and running my errands today. One of the reasons is because of my new sunglasses. Seriously, it's like driving around in HD when I'm wearing them. My old sunglasses weren't prescription, so my eyesight wasn't so great during the day. At night, obviously, I'd use my regular glasses, but aside from all the neon and flashing lights, there ain't much to see. But damn, during the day, now that I've got these prescription sunglasses, everything is so clear that it's amazing. I feel like Homer Simpson in that episode where he suddenly went three-dimensional.

I'm also finding that I forget to take them off, so I'm that dork walking around indoors--like at the grocery store--with my sunglasses on. And if I wasn't afraid of looking like a jackass, I'd probably wear them at the poker table, too. Hell, I've already got the iPod, and I bet if I looked hard enough, I could find myself a backwards cap to wear, too. The bottom line is that I can't sing enough praises about my new shades. They're that good. I feel the same way about my cell phone and my new wallet too. All three have completely exceeded my expectations, so regardless of the cost, I do not suffer from buyer's remorse.

But my spending is done for now. There are bills to pay, a trip to Phoenix in a few weeks, and time with a nice gal I need to save for. No more toys for awhile.

Mikey

No comments: