Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Changing Poets Fire Into Frozen Dust

Hey gang, I know you've all been diligently checking in on me over the past couple of days, waiting for some entertainment.

Unfortunately, I just have nothing to say. Well, at least an interesting way of saying whatever is on my mind, so I've been staying away from the keyboard. Besides having nothing to share, nothing too interesting has happened lately, either, so I've got no stories to tell.

Well, something highly entertaining happened at work yesterday morning, but it's not a story I would ever be able to share in a public forum such as this, just because if I were to report the asshattery I saw on display, well, it'd get back to me in a hurry and there would be unpleasant consequences. Let's just say that it put a smug grin on my face for several hours--somebody got what was coming to them, and I was lucky enough to witness it. Anyhow...

As far as the poker game goes, after my big win on Friday night, I cashed out for a little over $800, leaving exactly $150 in my online account. Since then, I've played in about eight or nine more low-priced tourneys, and I haven't cashed once. The first five knockouts were ultimate-suckouts, one of them being a guy catching the ONE single card in the deck that would make his hand, on the river, to knock me out. It's been so ugly that I'm starting to give some serious credence to Sticky's "Doom Switch" theory now. Since then, it's been just comical--earlier this evening I pushed with pocket Queens, the first pocket pair I'd seen in two hours, and I got one caller--the guy with pocket Kings.

Since I have been running so bad, I'm doing another poker hiatus for at least a week. That last $150 of house money is down to thirty-five cents now, and I'm not making another deposit anytime soon. I'm so ashamed... But I figure, if I'm gonna brag about the big wins, I might as well fess up to the losses, too.

I think the one that stung the most was being the first one knocked out on Sunday night in the weekly buffoon tournament. Doc Al caught me with my hand in the cookie jar on a semi-bluff, and his hand was just good enough to make a call. That led me to do the whole Teddy KGB monologue from the end of Rounders -- Nyet! He beat me. Pay him. Pay that man his money... It was rather embarrassing, but again, I think it speaks volumes about my competitive nature (and none of it good, I'm afraid) when you realize that it was a just five-dollar and fifty-cent tournament!

I was ok a few minutes later when I got into another tournament, but then that's where my string of bad beats began.

But enough about that.

However, speaking of shame, it's feeling pretty bad to be a Rams fan right now. And an ASU fan, too. Seriously, losing at home to UNLV when you're a 22-point favorite? Between those two games, I was doing the face-palm all weekend.

On the other hand, I can take small solace in a couple of things. As bad as the Rams are, it's easy money betting against them in the sports book. They may tear my heart out with their on-field ineptitude, but if I make a hundred bucks every time they stink up the joint, I should easily be up a grand or more by the end of the season. Besides that, that deathly silence you hear coming from Seattle, interrupted only by the occasional cricket or tumbleweed, is music to my ears.

It's one thing for my Rams to lose to the defending Super Bowl champions, I mean, we're not burdened by expectations. But it's a whole 'nother kettle of thrown fish for the Seahawks to get beaten at home by the lowly 49ers. Heh. That made me giggle almost as much as watching Ohio State take a beating on Saturday.

Anyhow. I wish I had more stuff to write about, but life is quite mundane right now. I work, I play poker, I try to sleep, I start all over again. If the routine changes, you'll be the first to know.

Mikey

No comments: