Thursday, October 04, 2007

Tossing My Cookies

Yesterday morning, I was surfing around the net and saw that Angy was online over at T2V. Knowing that she sometimes has her Yahoo Messenger turned on during the day, I switched mine on to see if she was there. She was, and we 'chatted' for almost a half hour. Surprisingly, our conversation centered on cookies. She'd had a craving, and was going to be bringing some frosted mail-order cookies out to the Not-Soberfest activities in a couple of weeks (the brand name escapes me, else I'd put up a link).

Anyhow, after that, suddenly I was craving cookies all afternoon. I hadn't had any in several weeks, except for a handful of Double-Stuf Oreos in Mamasan's kitchen a couple weeks ago while we were sitting and playing Sequence all afternoon. Other than that, it's been months, and once Angy planted the seed, I thought about cookies all afternoon.

I had a couple of errands to run anyways, like going down to the rental office and getting my gate key reprogrammed and filling up the gas tank, so I finally put on some shoes and headed out. Instead of driving all the way down to my favorite Walmart Neighborhood Market, I opted for the much-closer Albertson's.

Good lord, what a mistake. Not only was it packed to the gills with rush-hour shoppers, but I'd forgotten how overpriced everything was there. Part of it is obviously the overhead, as the Albertson's is located in a nicer neighborhood, instead of the Walmart which is located on a busy 'industrial' road. I wandered for a good ten minutes, mouth agape at the ridiculous prices. My coconut creamer, $2.79 at Wallyworld, was $4.14 there. A pack of Hebrew Nationals? $5.79. The Red Baron frozen thin crust pizza I discovered last months? $3.75 everyday at WalMart, but $5.79 at Albertson's. Seriously--I stumbled around with an empty cart not buying anything until I could collect my thoughts and let the reality of the prices sink in.

Cookies were definitely out, although they had an Oreo special--2 packs for $5. Instead, I wandered over to the produce section and picked up a few things--salad mix, dressing, wonton strips, apples, grapes, sun-dried tomatoes, and croutons. I'm really enjoying the apples, they had some HUGE green Granny Smiths, so I loaded up a bag, and the grapes, which I haven't tried yet are the 'black' seedless variety. I usually buy red grapes, so this should be an interesting change. I wanted to get some cantaloupe and honeydew melons, but again, their prices were just ridiculous.

My last stop was for a couple of two-liter bottles of Coke--can't drink that rum straight up. My one pet-peeve about WalMart is that they are *always* sold out of Coke. Every time I go there, there are NO 2-liters available. And $3.75 for a 12-pack of cans is still a little too high for me to bite. Well, by the time I got to the soda pop aisle, there were only twelve bottles of Coke left, so I snagged three of them. It made me wonder--why does there seem to be a Vegas-wide shortage of Coca Cola lately? I mean, it's only the most popular beverage in the world--you'd think a place like WalMart would have the foresight to keep a few bottles on hand at all times, and Albertson's was going to run out before 5 pm on a weeknight.

Whoever their distributor is in Vegas, they really need to get on the ball.

Anyhow, after not getting any cookies, and doing the right thing by purchasing mostly fruits and veggies, I got out of there to the tune of 48 bucks and change. And I won't be going back to Albertson's anytime soon.

Dinner was a turkey and cheese sandy on whole wheat, an apple, and a tall glass of icy-cold Coke.

Mikey

No comments: