Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Blessed Slumber

Well, I got my new bed, and since I brought it home about, oh, seventeen hour ago, I think I've had about ten hours of sleep in it.

Nice!

The Craigslist ad, as usual, wasn't quite on the up-and-up, as when I arrived at this house, I was amazed to see that these people had a three-car garage set up as an impromptu mattress warehouse, with a couple of other people shopping there, too. Apparently, they buy overstocks and such at auctions, and even sell a bunch of used ones too, as I noticed that they'd hired a couple of Mexican dudes with a steam cleaner who were standing outside working on older ones. The chick I talked to on the phone was nowhere to be found, of course, but I did a little browsing. They had just about any kind of mattress you could imagine, but you could tell they were selling factory seconds and used hotel beds.

Anyhow, I found a decent set--the thickest one I could find, and had them load it in my truck. I paid them a few bucks, and then drove all the way home at 55 mph on 215, certainly pissing off everyone who was too chicken to get out of the right lane and pass me.

Rob was kind enough to help me unload the thing, and I Fabreezed it just to make sure it didn't smell like a garage--or even worse--a litter box. Once my sheets were out of the dryer, I made up the bed and hit it hard, not moving for almost seven hours.

Once I got up, I was amazed at how good I felt. These last few months, the only sleep I got was because of exhaustion, while rest and rejuvenation took a back seat. It was great--my back or shoulders didn't hurt, I wasn't all stiff, and I had plenty of energy. It's almost like I took a small sip from the fountain of youth...

So I got up, made my French toast since I hadn't eaten anything all day, and settled in to watch the WSOP Horse tournament of ESPN for a couple of hours that I'd recorded. There was nothing else good on TV (except my favorite show The Unit), so I went back to my room and experienced what I had forgotten was one of my favorite activities--lying in bed reading a book! Yep, when you have just a pile of foam pads and a sleeping bag on the floor, you don't really use it for much. But damn, how I love stretching out on a big firm queen-sized bed with a good book and no interruptions. I read for four hours straight before falling asleep again, this time for only about three hours.

I've been up ever since. And I feel much better than I have in months.

Best money I've spent since I moved in.

Mikey

No comments: