Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A New Nest

I'm pretty excited this morning--I had my alarm set to get up early, and then the plan was to make myself a nice breakfast of French toast, sausage links, orange juice, and coffee before showering up and heading down to poker school for a few hours practicing my (hopefully someday) craft.

But I've had to put the brakes on that plan. First of all, I was wide awake much earlier than my alarm, having only gotten about two hours worth of sleep last night this morning. So I got up, watched a little Mike & Mike, and futzed around on the computer like I normally do.

Lately, I've been surfing the Craigslist ads for furniture, because I need a new bed. Yes, as of right now, I'm sleeping on the floor, using my foam camping pads as a bed. I know, I know, my sisters all kicked in and bought me a new bed two years ago for Christmas, because I left my totally awesome queen-sized luxurious pillowtop bed behind in Nashville, which Mamasan immediately claimed for herself. (And I'm somewhat wary of Craigslist anyways--that's how I found the stripper house when I first moved here, but there's no harm in looking, I figured...)

Apparently, my sisters got ripped off by the clowns at JC Penney when they ordered the bed. They ordered a nice and somewhat expensive bed for me back there in Nashville. But what was delivered to Vegas was the cheapest entry-level crappy motel bed ever designed. It was comfy at first, but I could tell it was a cheapy. It was thin, and I could feel every spring, and it didn't weigh very much. (Because the rule with furniture is, the heavier it is, the better it is...)

And with my fat ass sleeping on it, along with the occasional overnight guest, it started to sag noticeably after just a couple of months. Then, I moved from the 'greenhouse room' at my old place to the other end of the Estate, to the 'Brady Bunch' wood-paneled room. As I was pushing the box spring down the front hallway, on it's side (the hallwway had marble tile, so it slid along pretty easily), I accidentally ran it into the wall going around a corner. And I'll be damned if the cheap-ass pine frame they built it out of didn't snap in half! Yep, it's bad enough when a mattress will fold in half, but even worse when the box spring does the same.

Oh well, it's all I had, so I got rid of the then-useless metal bed frame and just set the box spring and mattress on the floor in my new room. It now had a ridiculous sag in the middle, and Sticky said it looked more like a bird's nest than a bed. I put up with it for almost a year, but it wasn't comfy at all.

So when I left, and moved into these fancy new digs with Rob, I left it behind for my old piece of shiat roommate to deal with (getting even with him instead of beating his ass, like I wanted to do, but that's another story...)

And ever since then, money has been too tight to get a new bed. And since I absolutely refuse to buy anything else on credit until my truck is paid down and my student loans are more manageable, I resigned myself to the fact that it might be awhile before I get a real bed. (Or entertain the ladies, dammit all...)

But no longer. Just this morning, while surfing the net, I found an ad from some folks that have a queen sized bed for sale at a bargain price. Apparently, it's a couple that bought it for their guest room less than a year ago, and it's been sitting in their garage ever since, still in the wrapper, and never made it upstairs.

So I called, told her to hold it, and I'll be heading over to pick it up in about an hour.

School can wait. I'm gonna take a nap this afternoon!

Mikey

No comments: