Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I Must've Been Pretty Tired Yesterday

...Because I turned down free lunch at the Grand Luxe Cafe! What the hell was I thinking? I *love* that place! That's ok, though. Word around the campfire is that I'll get another chance in three weeks or so, so it's all good.

The problem was, I was dealing dice again on Sunday, and it's a workout. But then they finally started rotating us into the 'reserved' game later that evening, and it was making the night just drag by, so when they offered Early Out once the other live game went dead and the table closed, I snapped it up. (Who the hell am I kidding? "Offered" is a pretty loose term. If I hadn't taken it, it would've been a five-man crew, and I'd be taking a break every 20 minutes, making the night drag by even worse, so I opted to just go home instead).

Anyhow, as I was heading back to my locker and such, I passed my gal Jovanka in the hallway and told her I was taking off early. It was the last night of her workweek, so it took her a split-second to say "Hey, I'll go ask if I can get out too--let's go out!". I was all for that, and two minutes later we were headed for the door and off to our favorite watering hole.

We sat at the bar for a bit, visiting with some other friends that had stopped by, and even ordered a basket of taquitos, wings, cheese sticks, and onion rings to munch on since the offerings in the employee dining room were so shiatty that night (the only thing I had during my shift was a banana and a cup of coffee). Once we finished our food, we ordered another round (Heineken for her, Michelob Light for me) and headed out to the side patio to sit by the fire. It was an awesome night out--nice and quiet, chilly but not too cold, and sitting by the fire was just about perfect.

We ended up sitting out there until almost 6:00 am, getting to the point where bottled water was tasting better than beer and I was doing more yawning than talking. We paid our tab, said our goodbyes and headed for home. I took a quick shower and hit the bed like a ton of freshly-scrubbed bricks, not waking up till sometime around 11:00 when my phone was ringing. It was Drew, wanting to meet up for lunch.

I was completely out of it, and I think our conversation reflected it, so he let me off the hook. But he'll be back in a few weeks and we'll get together then. As soon as I was awake, somewhat coherent, and alert enough to move, my phone was ringing again. This time it was Angy, excited about her upcoming trip. We haven't talked in over a week, so we had to touch base make our plans. As much as I'd like to, I won't be able to hang out with the crowd except for Friday night. But oh what a night that will be!

I've got a bad feeling that there will be a lot of photos taken that can't be shared with the general population, which is always a sign of a good time.

Anyhow, I've got to get some sleep--I need to get up early in the morning, fix breakfast, run a few errands, and head back down to school. It's gonna be a great day, Tater!

Mikey

No comments: