Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Tear Down This Wall!

Yes, it was 20 years ago today, in case you don't remember.

I was living in San Diego at the time, spending my days driving all up and down the coast delivering tires and listening to 91-X, thinking that I should probably learn how to surf before I left for college.

Two years later, the wall came down. I remember where I was when I heard the news--I was on a charter bus coming back to Rexburg Idaho from Pocatello with my girlfriend/fiance Brenda--we'd spent the day getting the hard sell from Idaho State University where I was offered two years full-ride scholarship. (I turned it down. And never got married, either...) It was pretty interesting--they changed the sound system from music to the news and we listened to the reports coming in from Europe for over an hour on the drive back.

Once we got back that night, everyone was glued to the TV watching the celebration.

And in a wonderful twist of historical irony, a huge chunk of the Berlin wall now resides here in Vegas, doing duty as a backsplash for the urinals in the mens' room at Main Street Station.

I've never been to Germany, but I *have* pissed on the Berlin Wall. And I bet The Gipper approves.

Mikey

No comments: