Monday, June 11, 2007

A Sticky Situation

So, after yesterdays post about my inconsiderate 'friend', my email box filled up with people want to know who it was or just making wild-ass guesses. The truth is, most of you folks reading this don't know this person. So please stop assuming you know who it is.

Anyhow, writing that post was somewhat therapeutic, and even though I'd been having a bit of inner turmoil lately, I felt much better after hitting the 'Enter' key.

So just as I worked my way through the highs and lows in my mind pertaining to this person, I promptly stopped thinking about it, having had it with the mental exhaustion that comes with the baggage they carry. I went to work thinking that nothing could bother me.

But then I came back from my first break at 9:00 and low and behold, who is sitting in seat 2 at my Pai Gow table, but my old friend Sticky, who I'd basically not heard a peep from since March. Wow. Talk about catching me off guard! Just as one problem is solved, another one pops up.

I'm glad she came to see me, but basically everything was just left hanging when we said goodbye at the airport that night in March. I figured I was persona non grata after that, as I tried to make contact a time or two and talk, but I was met with one-word answers and brief, close-ended sentences. So seeing her again was a definite shock to the system. I knew she was here in town this weekend for the World Series of Poker ladies tournament, but we've had no contact, and even though I sent her a text message wishing her luck, I didn't figure to hear from her.

But there she was. I will admit that it was a bit, I don't know, "unsettling" maybe? I figured I was good and over it two weeks after she left, but as soon as I saw her last night, that old familiar pain that Dan Fogelberg sang about came calling. And I didn't like it very much.

It was a slightly uncomfortable hour for me. To her, it was like no big deal. I would like to write more about it, but we'll wait until Wednesday before do any more narrative therapy.

But we made plans to have lunch and spend the afternoon together on Tuesday, and hopefully then we'll have some closure and I can get back to ignoring the problems I have with some of the other people in my life.

Mikey

No comments: