Monday, June 18, 2007

Return of the Blob!

As I start typing this, I realize that it's 3:40 in the morning. I got one hour of E.O. from work, and as much as I *really* wanted to just go straight over to the new house and sleep in cool comfort, I had to come over to the old shiatty hotbox and get a few things done.

First of all, I didn't have my checkbook and any toiletries, and at some point today I'll need to groom myself and pay some bills. I also wanted to do some laundry, as I'm all paid up through the end of the month, utilities included, so I'm washing all of my clothes, towels, blankets--basically anything I can get my hands on--over the course of the next couple of days. Brothaman won't turn on the AC (by the way, it's 89 degrees in this house as I type this--I'm sitting here at my desk with the fan blasting on me but still sweating my arse off), so I'm gonna make up for it by doing about 20 loads of laundry this week.

I also had to do a couple of 'online' things, this post included, so I had to use the computer while waiting for the laundry. I'm also going to take a shower before heading back to the new place. But the gas will be turned on sometime later this afternoon, so hopefully this will be my last shower in this mismatched shiathole.

Anyhow, I hope you all appreciate the sacrifice I'm making by sitting here typing this up. I was absolutely *dead* tired last night at work--I could barely keep my eyes open, and just walking back and forth from the break room was an exercise in mental endurance.

You see, Saturday night after work, a bunch of us went out to a new bar that had just opened up, and I ended up staying until almost 7:00 am. I was beat from moving stuff the day before, but everyone wanted me to go out, so I did. Anyhow, I crawled back to the new house, and got about three and a half hours of sleep before Rob called, saying he was out of work. We had furniture to move from his place up in North Las Vegas, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend my days off this week fighting traffic, so I offered my truck and my back, but only if we did the moving on Sunday, when there was relatively light traffic on the roads.

He agreed, and by about 12:45 I was up at his place and we had some loading to do. But we figured that we should probably get some rope and tie it all down before getting back on the freeway. So over to Walmart we went. We found the rope, but ended up browsing at a couple of other items.

Since my mattress/boxspring combo is about the most poorly built model ever released on the buying public, I've decided to get a new bed--yes, even the foam pads on the floor these past couple of nights were more comfy than my bed. But a good queen-sized bed it gonna cost me something north of $500, which I just don't have right now. So I remembered the airbed that Eddie B was using when he came to visit in April.

Walmart had a nice selection, and I picked up a Coleman queen-sized airbed for just $50. Not a permanent solution by any means, but it works for now. Once we got back to the new place, I inflated it and realized that it sits up pretty damn high--higher than my 'real' bed, even. And it was oh-so-comfy... And Eddie was right--it's a big damn blob. So I'm going to use that for a bit until the financial picture changes enough that I have some more disposable income.

Anyhow, the project for the day was moving furniture, and we made two trips between N. Las Vegas and our new pad in Henderson, loading up my truck with overstuffed leather furniture and other assorted doo-dads. It took most of the day to load/drive/unload/drive back/load/drive/unload/etc., and by about 5 pm, I could see that Rob was hitting the wall, having come straight from work that morning. I had gotten a bit of sleep, but was yawning, and the combo of hot sun and sore muscles really took it's toll. It was all I could do to function at work last night. Seriously, I was on a dead table a couple of times and caught myself nodding off.

Once I got out of work, I seriously wanted to go straight to bed, but here I am typing like a zombie and waiting for a load of laundry to get done. I got a few more things organized and packed here at the house, but there is no way on God's Green Earth that I'm going to load up the truck again this morning and unload it again over there. I am dead man walkin'. I'm going to finish this post, put the clothes in the dryer, take a shower, and then head over to the new house to sleep for a few hours with my phone turned off, cradled in the warm embrace of my new blob.

Mikey

No comments: