Friday, June 08, 2007

Good News!

I was doing laundry late this afternoon, and as I was transferring the wet clothes from the washer to the dryer, my missing car keys fell out on the floor. Woot! Apparently, they were in the pocket of some shorts that had been sitting in the laundry basket for the past week and a half. And the cool thing was that even after being washed, the little flashlight thingy still worked!

I've been waiting by the phone today, but still got no word yet if we've been accepted into the loving embrace of our new apartment community, but then, they said they'd let us know on Saturday.

I just wish I knew for sure that it was happening (and I'm hoping we can dodge that whole security deposit thing, too), so that I can start packing for real. I've started a few piles, but my heart isn't into it yet. It'll feel official once I start calling the utility companies for the hook-ups.

Did I mention that we have a gas stove? Oh hell yeah! Man, I can't wait. I've had a gas stove in exactly ONE place I've lived in my entire life. That was with the strippers when I first moved here, and of course out of the five weeks I was in that house, the gas was cut off for the last two. So I'm looking forward to cooking omelets faster than that Mexican guy at the Main Street Station brunch buffet.

But not only is it a gas stove/oven, but it actually works--unlike the antiquated equipment here at the current pad. We have a double oven , the exact same model featured in the house in the movie Blast From the Past, but only one side, the small side, works. And our countertop range kinda works, but only two burners at a time. And all the heating elements are warped and won't stay level, no matter how much I bang and twist them. And the refrigerator has a filter and an ice maker, too. So to me, the new kitchen is like a quantum leap forward in technology. I'll probably be cooking every day!

Seriously--the reason I grill outside so often, besides the fact that it tastes damn good, is that our stove sucks and there is no exhaust fan, either.

I am, however, going to miss one thing. You know how the smell kind of lingers all day when you cook bacon? I love doing that--cooking up a pound of bacon and not opening any windows, just because it drives the crazy vegan guy nuts.

Oh well. It's a sacrifice I'm more than willing to make.

Mikey

No comments: