Thursday, March 05, 2009

We're Gettin' the BAND Back Together!


I've got my pot of coffee handy, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it. Yeah, I know, I *am* drinking it, but normally when I make a pot of coffee early in the morning, I sit down at the keyboard like a dam about to burst with stuff to write about. But this morning, it's barely a trickle, like an old man trying to finish taking a pee.

I've been up for several hours, actually, which is fine--I'm used to it due to the graveyard shift I allegedly work. Hell, I barely feel like I have a job anymore. Yeah, I've thought about getting a second one, since I can't count on poker winnings to supplement my income as much as it did last summer. I even poked around on Craigslist last night and saw a part-time job that's right up my alley. No, nobody is offering to pay me to sit on a beach, drink rum, and ogle the ladies, but I saw that the cigar shop at the Forum Shops at Caesars has an opening. That would be cool--I'd love to work in a cigar store a few hours a week, but I'm not gonna seriously consider a second job until after the Madness has passed. Maybe by then, I won't need one anyways.

Last night, while I was channel surfing, I ended up on one of the Encore channels deep in the bowels of the cable box, and one of my favorite movies of all-time came on. I'm talking about That Thing You Do!, which is one of those films that no matter how many times I've seen it, if I happen to catch it on TV somewhere in the middle of it, I'm done--I'm watching it the rest of the way. That's what happened last night, but luckily it had just started.

But it was kind of like seeing it again for the first time--Encore was playing the 'extended' full version with all of the deleted scenes put back in, which adds almost 40 minutes to the original theatrical release.

Holy shit. I had no idea that Mr. White was gay, nor that Howie Long was his lover--that whole thing was cut from the original. Also, there was a great big chunk of movie that took place in the Pittsburgh concert hall that was completely cut out, plus a huge scene at the end that explained how Guy and Faye were able to stay in LA and get married. Also, there was a funny little scene between Tom Hanks (Mr White) and Rita Wilson (his wife in real-life, who played a cocktail waitress in the film), where in the original movie, they never crossed paths. By the way, I've always thought Rita Wilson was an uber-hottie, especially for an older chick, and she's always had a spot on my Laminated List, Senior Division. The whole cocktail waitress thing just makes it even better for me...

So that's why I stayed up most of the night--with all of the deleted scenes put back in, it was kinda like sitting through the Godfather III, except that this was, you know, a good movie.

Another thing I finally noticed, even though I've seen the movie about 30 times, is that Peter Scolari played the host on the Hollywood Television Showcase program. For those of you who grew up in the 80's like I did, Peter Scolari was the guy who played Tom Hanks' roommate in Bosom Buddies. It's like he fell off the planet in 1983 and re-emerged in this movie. Odd that I never recognized him until now.

Anyhow, that's how I spent my Wednesday night while all of you were sleeping.

Today... Well, I'm still working on it. I must feed the laundry monster at some point, and I'm also going to go put on my Indiana Jones hat and go on an expedition down through the garage to find my old guitar books. It's driving me crazy not having all of that material handy. I always kept it 'just in case', and well, now I need it. I've got to find it and get myself up to speed. My gals depend on me--We're gettin' the band back together!

Speaking of my gals, tonight we're all going to get together for beers and brainstorming down at the Frog. Actually, it won't be too much brainstorming, I've already done that--it'll be more about me pitching something other than woo and hoping to get their input and support. Let's just say that I've got ideas to keep you folks even more entertained, and it has nothing to do with coleslaw, drunkenness, or random nudity. Although, I think I could grow my audience exponentially if I could talk the gals into random nudity... But we'll keep that on the back burner for now.

Since I had no idea where this post was going to lead when I first sat down to type, but it seems to have a gained a musical theme, I've got a quickie story. Several months back, Lars Vargas brought me a homemade CD full of lounge music. He had a copy, and we listened to it in the car on one of our many treks up to Summerlin for microbrew and garlic donuts. But it wasn't a normal CD--all of the tracks were compressed mp3 files, and there were about 45 full-length albums worth of music on it. Talk about a treasure trove of cool tunes! Well, I didn't know what I had at the time, and at the end of the night, coming home with a full belly and a cool buzz, I tossed the disk on my desk and it got swallowed up in the worm-hole of clutter and sent to another dimension for the past few months. I totally forgot about it.

In the meantime, I discovered old-skool lounge music on my own, (well, with the help of Lisa Lisa, but I was already into the Rat Pack and such), and started building a collection. Now I've got about a dozen CDs of swingin' shag carpet lounge music that I could use to seduce all of the female cast members of Mad Men, and besides Jimmy Buffett, it's about all I listen to anymore.

Well, just last night as I was cleaning up the desk and organizing all the clutter, I found that CD that Lars had given me way back when. I popped it into my computer a few hours ago, and I've been listening to it ever since. But according to the breakdown on my Windows Media Player, it's got about six or seven of the CDs I bought on my own already included. Pretty cool coincidence, huh? Even though it turns out that I didn't need to buy them, the liner notes alone are worth the price I paid. And of course I dig the music.

I guess that's about it for now. No Omelet House for me today, and now that I've finished damn near a whole pot of coffee, I'm not hungry at all anyways. I'll eventually fall asleep, but this afternoon I'll get up and grab some lunch, look for my music books, and then prepare myself for an evening of buffoonery with the ladies. Sarah has a new toy, so I'm guessing we'll be getting a lot of self-portraits tonight.

Mikey

No comments: