Monday, March 30, 2009

One Of Those Days

I think I may have a case of the Mondays. Not the bitter I hate the world and my job, but mostly my job cases, but more of an apathetic attitude towards just about everything today. The job is fine, although last night I only worked for an hour and a half--but it was a great 90 minutes. I was only dealing for an hour, but made over a hundred bucks in tips, and whenever that happens I always wonder why I can't stretch it out for eight hours straight...

Anyhow, I've got lots of stuff I could be doing, but I'm just not feeling the motivation today like I had late last week. A few days ago, I was running around being crazy busy and getting lots done, but today, I'm cool with sitting here working my way through a pot of coffee and planning stuff to do, but not actually, you know, doing any of it. I guess I'm more of an idea guy than an implementation guy, even if implementation is nothing more than downloading photo files, doing laundry, reporting on a restaurant visit, practicing the guitar, or any number of other little things I could be doing.

I know I'll get around to it eventually, but I think my problem is that I didn't get enough sleep last night. I left for work an hour early, the soup, sandwich, and apple from Panera Bread not quite tiding me over for the entire day, so the idea was to grab a bite before my shift in the poker room and hopefully that would give me the energy to carry on all night if I needed to.

So I went over to Sierra Gold and indulged in one of my favorite meals, their toasted sourdough breadbowl full of clam chowder. Oh yes, it was damn good, and it was just what the doctor ordered on a cold and windy Vegas night. Once finished, I went to work, and walked in to the poker room to see that the only 4-8 game had just broken, and there was only one short-handed no-limit game. Yet there were three other dealers hanging around. It didn't look good for Mikey, that's for sure.

But the other dealers, all full-timers, decided to bail, so I got the no-limit game all to myself. My buddy Brooklyn Joey showed up a few minutes later, and the game was actually a lot of fun to deal, although out of the seven players, three of them were short-stacked, so I figured it was going to be an early night.

Joey and another guy ended up breaking the game, both of them coloring up for over $800 apiece just an hour later, and thus ended my night in the box. When we were shutting the room down, the three of us (Joey, the floorman, and I) decided to head back over to Sierra Gold and hit 'em up again.

So we got out of the casino by 2:30, drove over to the bar, and ordered a round of beers. I was still full so I played a little ten-cent triple-play video poker while the other two guys ordered food. I managed to hit a couple of four-of-a-kinds, earning me $40 on top of my 'free' beer, so it turned out to be a profitable post-shift diversion.

We sat at the bar for awhile, but once everyone had finished their food, we headed over to the pool tables. A few minutes later, I found myself dozing in the booth, so I called it a night.

I think I got about four hours of sleep before my phone was ringing at 8:00 o'clock this morning. It was Mamasan, wanting to share her excitement with getting a free upgrade to unlimited minutes on her phone plan. Yay. Since she could now call anyone at anytime, and all the rest of my siblings have real jobs, that left me.

I tried to go back to sleep after I got off the phone, but that was a losing proposition. The neighbors were making noise outside (my window was open), the dogs were barking at a chipmonk on the back patio, a delivery truck of some sort was backing up and beeping, and somebody called my phone, but it was a wrong number. Clearly, I was not going to get any more sleep.

So I've been up ever since. About the only thing productive I've done, however, is pick up the clothes off the floor and put them in the basket (along with the lotion!) and do a little online shopping. I don't really 'need' any new clothes, although I've discovered that the Crandall Addington approach to poker works for me.

Whenever I'm wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and flipflops, I notice that I'm not nearly as well-behaved when I'm playing cards. But when I'm wearing slacks and a button-down shirt, not only do I not act like a typical foul-mouthed drunken tourist, but I also play *much* better. I don't fully understand the psychology behind it, but when I dress better, I play better. It's not that I'm an asshole when I'm dressed down, it's just that I act better-than-usual when I dress up. I'm much more calm, quiet, reserved, and patient, and it has had quite an impact on my game. So, anyhow, I hopped on the Casual Male website and ordered a couple of nice shirts, and while I was there, I indulged and spent a hundy on a St. Louis Cardinals game jersey, too. I've always wanted one, and since I had the money, I decided to treat myself.

Other than that, not much else is going on today. I'm sure that eventually I'll post some food p0rn from my visit to Stripsteak last week, but an hour-by-hour March Madness travelogue just ain't gonna happen.

More later...


No comments: