Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Oh HELL Yeah!



Sometimes, when I'm feeling kinda bored and there's nothing on TV, or when I don't feel like reading or doing chores, I surf the internet. Yeah, I know--Shocker, huh? But it's a different kind of surfing when all of your favorite sites haven't updated in awhile (not that that ever happens here!). Tonight was kinda like that. I was surfing around for interesting recipes to try at some point, and I stumped across this masterpiece-- Bacon Apple Pie!

My first thought, of course, was Damn, now *that* sounds like a great idea! But then my second thought was Hmmm--I'm surprised that nobody has come up with this before.

After reading the article, it sounds like the author has tried it a couple of times and hasn't quite gotten it exactly right just yet. Looking over the recipe, I had the same thought that many of the people who commented did--maybe if you used bacon grease in the crust instead of shortening, that might tighten up the flavor a bit. Also, I would cook the lattice-top bacon down about halfway, just to get the grease factor down a bit. I dunno if that would work, but hey, if you're gonna experiment in the kitchen, it might as well be with two things as tasty as bacon and apple pie.

Of course, a dessert like this has gotta be the absolute worst thing in the world for the health-conscious among us, but then again, the holidays are coming and there's nothing wrong with a little indulgence. There will be time for exercise and healthy living habits come January, and this is something that would obviously be just a once-a-year treat, kinda like peanut butter balls or can-shaped cranberry sauce. That being said, the more I thought about this recipe, the more I thought about how to make it better. Bacon is quite salty, so I think it would be better balanced with more sugar in the recipe--think about how sweet a Hostess fruit pie is (apple of course), and then add a side of bacon. Now if you can somehow merge the two, then maybe you'd be on to something.

Like the author, I too believe that eventually this recipe could be tweaked to the point where you actually find the synergy of the ingredients and the sum would be greater than the whole of the parts. It just sounds too good not to be so, don't ya think?

Mikey

No comments: