Wednesday, October 01, 2008

I Agree With This Guy


No shiat. Instead of bailing out the geniuses that gave $300,000 mortgages to people making forty grand a year, hows about forgiving all my student loans and then watch how much more money I circulate through the economy every month...

Anyhow...

Man, I've had a heck of a day. I've been busier than shiat. First of all, I was sweating the money, big time, today. For whatever reason--probably because I'm an idiot--I completely forgot to enter into my checkbook the three tanks of gas I bought while on my little jaunt to Phoenix last weekend. Once I got home, I was just oblivious to my finances and just carried on like all was normal. Then checking my account online yesterday, I was hit with an instant WTF? moment, as I was about $200 short of where I thought I was. I can't believe I was that absent-minded.

I panicked for a second, thinking I wasn't going to be able to meet my first-of-the-month obligations, but then, emptying out my wallet, my piggy bank, and the little can I keep the hundies in, plus adding up what was left in the checking account, I realized that I was only about a hundred short. Not too bad, but enough to make me stress at work, knowing that I *had* to make a certain amount of cash before I went home. The problem was, it's the middle of the week, and the poker room is dead again because of that jackpot hitting on Sunday.

Not only that, but it really makes the ass-kicking I took at the poker table yesterday look completely stupid, unnecessary, and irresponsible. I would've never sat down at the table had I known what I was up against. What made it worse is that I couldn't even move money electronically from my investment account--I'd have to wait for settlement and then another couple of days for the ACH thingy to update. So I was quite stuck.

And when I got to work this morning, I was quite disappointed to come in and see that the room was completely empty--there hadn't been a game going for hours. So I sat on my ass watching CNBC for the first two hours, trying to figure out how many downs I needed to make my scratch.

Since it was obviously going to be a slow day, I figured on $15 per half hour, so I'd need six or seven downs in the box, minimum, just to wake up broke tomorrow morning, if not behind. And there were two more dealers scheduled at 11, one at 8 am, and if it didn't pick up, that would've left me with only three downs before getting sent home. It wasn't looking good.

Luckily, the 8 am dealer was one of the players who scored the $5600 on Sunday, so when I told her I needed a couple of extra downs today, she volunteered to give up her tips and stand and brush and work the cashier desk and let me stay in the box for a couple of hours straight. And then, like a new-testament miracle, we had a big turnout for the 11 am tournament, plus enough players to start a second cash game. Oh hell yeah! That never happens.

I ended up getting 'locked down' for almost three hours straight, and I'd made all the money I needed before noon. Once I got out of the cash game tables, I had to do a couple of downs in the tournament, too. I left before it ended, so that cash will be waiting for me in an envelope at the desk when I go in to work tomorrow morning, which will be a nice start to the day.

So it turns out that all my stress this morning was for naught, as my tokes earned today far surpassed the amount I needed when I woke up.

Whew. That was a close one. Normally I don't play with my finances that close to the edge unless it's a real emergency, and I've luckily not been living paycheck-to-paycheck for awhile. But due to sheer forgetfulness, I damn near had a crisis on my hands. But all is well now.

So once I punched out of work, stress free, I headed over to the bank to make a deposit, then stopped at the store to pick up some lunch and a few other groceries. When I got home, I spent some time writing out all those checks that needed to be written, and once the bills were all paid, I still had four bucks left in my checking account and a few twenties left in my wallet. Heh.

Speaking of all things cash-related, I want to thank the kind soul who hit the tip jar the other day. It was an anonymous donation, so I have no idea who it was, but I appreciate it. Every little bit helps--I may have averted some stress today, but I'm fairly certain that this is still going to be a lean month.

Beside my own personal financial crisis today, everything else is just fine. I have learned since yesterday that Kendra does not 'lurk', so whatever activity she was doing by the cashiers cage when I found her yesterday, I don't have a verb handy to assign to it, but it was definitely not lurking.

With that, I think I just got myself out of the doghouse. Heh.

Anyhow, that's about all from around here. I'm spending my evening watching baseball and doing laundry. Yay, life in Vegas! Glamorous, I tell ya.

I'm sure I'll have more stories tomorrow night.

Mikey

No comments: