Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Setting New Standards of Laziness

Howdy everyone!

I see that my traffic has been pretty good today, and I was a lazy jackass and gave everyone nothing new to read all day. Sorry about that, but now that everyone is home from the office and away from the computer, it's now that I decide to make an update.

I really wanted to get up early and do some writing this morning, but I slept until way past noon and that plan went out the same window as did my plan to win the Silverton poker tournament last night. But more about that later...

The problem is that I got absolutely no sleep on Tuesday after I got out of work. I got home, puttered around for a bit, and went to sleep around 3:30 in the morning. I woke up at 6:30, having to pee and hearing Rob lurking around in the living room before heading off to his daily indoctrination orientation down at the Evil Empire.

I went back to bed, but couldn't sleep. So I was up all day long. I finally dozed into a quick catnap around 4:00 pm, but as soon as I fell asleep, my phone was ringing--Amy was calling me from Nashville, and kept me laughing for about 20 minutes while she made her evening commute. After that, I was up again, killing time watching the new episodes of Deadliest Catch and clearing space on the DVR until it was time to head out and try to repeat my domination of the poor schleps at the Silverton.

But I knew I was in trouble as soon as I got there--I couldn't quit yawning, and I was dozing off while just sitting there at the table waiting for the tourney to start. Three hours off sleep in the previous thirty was starting to catch up to me.

I thought I'd be fine once the tourney got started--I folded the first hand, which would've won the first pot with a full house, but won the next three without exposing my cards. A few minutes later I got pocket eights, made trips on the flop and was lucky enough to have a calling station in early position with a raggy board. Finally, after the turn I went all in, and he thought about it for maybe thirty seconds and called with absolutely f*cking nothing--King/Queen suited. The river brought no help for him and I dang near doubled up.

Everyone at the table was saying stuff like "Nice call, dude..." and he seemed to get pissed about it, saying Hey, it's my money!

So I said, No, actually, it's *my* money when you play like that. Thanks!

Heh.

After that, I got absolutely nothing for the rest of the tournament--the blinds were eating me alive, and our table was down to seven players, while the other two tables were still full--and the tourney director refused to re-seat anyone until a table was down to six players. I was so card-dead that I tried to gamble with weak Aces a couple of times, but both times somebody went all-in behind me, and I had to fold, costing me valuable chips each time.

I made it to just past the end of the re-buy period and the re-seating, but found myself short stacked with Ace-King. I went all-in and got two callers. One guy also had Ace-King, the other had a pair of sixes. Mr. Pocket Pair had us both covered, and my night ended at the river.

I was back home by 11:30, with no winnings or poker glory to bask in. I stayed up for about an hour or so watching tv and talking to Rob, but found myself dozing on the loveseat, so I headed to bed. And I crashed for 12 straight hours.

It was nice, but I'm feeling a little sluggish today. A brisk walk down to the clubhouse to fetch the mail helped a bit, but even though it's sunny outside, the wind is howling and it's a bit too chilly to hang out by the pool. So I've made myself a cocktail, turned the tv on to the 'Arena Rock' channel, and I'm about to go to work on that big damn palm tree in the upper left side of my puzzle.

Mikey

No comments: