Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Progress

After taking damn near an entire week away from working on the puzzle, there was much activity on it yesterday afternoon. Rob worked on the upper border, while I sifted through the box searching for any still-unfound straight edges while separating any pieces that might be part of the huge palm tree. (That's what's in the silver disposable baking tray on the left).


We got it mostly done and I found a few extra pieces that fit in around the sailboat, but we gave up early in the evening with a missing border piece. It bothered me all night, so this morning I got back to work sifting through the box and finally found the missing piece, completing the border once and for all.

Besides working on the palm tree, the other puzzle-within-the-puzzle will be working on the 'horizon' where the mountains and sky come together. Gotta dig out a cookie sheet for that, too. But it's coming along nicely, although not nearly as quickly as I thought it would. I figured we'd be done in a week--two weeks, tops--but it's a little more challenging than that. And I'm amazed, again, at how fast the hours go by when I'm working on it. Yesterday afternoon, three hours passed like it was nothing. But that's the beauty of working on a complicated puzzle--your mind is free from the worries and constraints of everyday life, and you can still relax while exercising your brain.

Anyhow, besides working on the puzzle, my first day off was nice and relaxing. I came up with a list of things to work on over the course of the next several weeks, because it's time to move again. Rob wants to go live out on the west side with the Star Trek crowd once our lease is up--they have an opening in a huge house--and I want to stay in Henderson. Since he's working on the Strip now, instead of down here, and will pay $50 less per month in rent to live in a house, he jumped on the opportunity. Trying to find another roommate here isn't really an option for me, just because I really can't afford to carry the note on this place by myself, even if it's only for a couple of months, and the one-bedroom apartments here in our complex are ridiculously overpriced, too. So right now I'm not sure where I'm going to be living on July 1st, but I know it won't be here.

Once I organized my thoughts and to-do list, I got a nice nap in, woke up in time to catch a few episodes of my favorite show, and then headed out to the Silverton to do battle in the poker arena.

Long story short--I didn't last very long, again. Ace-King got me, again--I went all-in short-handed and a dude with King-nine called me, and a nine came out on the flop, while all the Aces were strangely missing (You know damn well that if I'd had pocket kings, an Ace would've hit the board--it happens every time!). What's that cliche again? Oh yeah-- That's poker...

Still, it doesn't keep me from being slightly pissed about taking a bad beat. And even though I didn't do as well as I'd hoped, I still had a good time. Although, I'm thinking that my days of playing the Silverton Industry Night poker tournament are numbered--they took away the guaranteed prize pool, and last night there were only 17 players, so first place was only like $270 or something. Hardly worth the drive.

I can stumble down to Green Valley, Sunset Station, Joker's Wild, South Point, or even Sam's Town, if I want to find a game. And I still love them loose players at the MGM Grand!

Anyhow, that's pretty much it as far as my weekend goes. I'm going to head back into the kitchen, brew up a pot of coffee, cook me some bacon and French toast, and work on my puzzle for a few hours. I may make it out to the pool later this afternoon if the wind ever calms down, but otherwise, I have no plans. I'm living frugal again until I get my living situation figured out.

Mikey

No comments: