Monday, January 28, 2008

Shrooms!

Good news--My pizza pan arrived today! Of course, after my earlier morning updates, I was trying to doze a bit, but the wind is still howling outside and the neighbors nearest my bedroom window have some angry wind chimes, so it wasn't happening. But the doorbell rang, getting me out of bed, and there stood the UPS man with my pizza pan.

Since I had to go to the kitchen anyways...

I decided to go ahead and make those stuffed mushrooms. It was easy--I just took the leftover crab rangoon filling mix, sprinkled in a few tablespoons of grated Parmesan, about a third of a cup of bread crumbs, a small can of chopped mushrooms, a pinch or two of dried chives, seasoned with salt and pepper, and added a little half & half to make it stir-able. (Otherwise, it was like working with mostly-set concrete). Once that was all mixed up, I removed the stems from the Portobellas, then took a spoon and scraped out the 'radiator' underneath, rinsed, and patted them dry.

I put a very generous scoop of the filling mix in each one, topped each with a little bit of Parmesan and bread crumbs on top to give it a nice brown crust, and then drizzled them with olive oil.

Damn, it smelled so good, even before going in the oven.



I put them in the oven for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees, but next time I go with 400 for a little less time, I think (I'm scared of overcooking in that gas oven), but they still turned out really well.

Seriously, after taking the first bite, I think my reaction was Oh My God that's good!



Of course, I had a little bit of ranch dressing on the side, and a bottle of Chardonnay handy to wash them down. But they were damn good. And filling too. There was no way I was going to finish all six of those in one sitting, but I gave it my best effort.

So there are some leftovers in the fridge, but I don't seem them lasting 24 hours.

Mikey

No comments: