Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Latest Mix

I made myself another 'random' CD the other day, and I'm listening to it right now. And I have to say that I'm fairly impressed with the musical selection--it's downright enjoyable. In case anyone is interested, here are my home-made liner notes:

  • Let The Day Begin -- The Call. I have no idea when or where I first heard this song several years ago, but I heard it again a couple of weeks ago at work, wrote it down, and downloaded it as soon as I got home that night. Great tune.
  • Sara -- Bill Champlin. Regular readers know of my search for this tune, one of those songs from youth that stick in your memory forever. Thanks to Cici in Florida for helping me rediscover it after all these years, and Tony in Ohio for sending along a copy!
  • Hollywood -- Collective Soul. I don't think there's ever been a more underrated band that has put out so many damn good songs (maybe Cheap Trick). Even though it's more closely related to American Idol commercials, it doesn't diminish the fact that it's still a great song.
  • Edie Ciao Baby -- The Cult. I absolutely love The Cult. And if I owned a thoroughbred racehorse, I'd name it Edie Ciao Baby.
  • The Stripper -- David Rose. This is an old-school instrumental masterpiece that just screams 'Rat Pack'. I remember listening to it on 8-track with my dad as we road-tripped all over Tennessee on his service calls when I was a kid. I've already decided that I'm going to use it as the 'soundtrack' for my YouTube slideshow about March Madness this year. It already made an appearance on the legendary Music for the Rub-n-Tug CD that Derek and I made about seven years ago.
  • The Wand -- The Flaming Lips. Not the most mainstream song you've ever heard, but if you've seen a Dell computer commercial, you've heard it. It's a great tune, but there's so much going on that if you have it turned up loud, you fool yourself into thinking that either the doorbell or the cellphone is ringing while it's playing.
  • Freedom '90 -- George Michael. One of the best videos ever made, and a damn good song. I don't care if he is a 'beautiful gay angel' like Rachel Lucas says, the guy can flat-out sing, no matter what his proclivities are...
  • She's A Lady -- Tom Jones. Pretty much the opposite of George Michael. 'Nuff said.
  • Family Affairs -- Mary J. Blige. Because sometimes you just feel like getting it crunk.
  • Dancing Queen -- ABBA. Probably the greatest bubble-gum pop song ever recorded. And you like it too. Don't even try to deny it.
  • Sweet Caroline -- Neil Diamond. A timeless classic. And pretty much everyone at some point has either done a drunken impression of Neil Diamond, or sung along with the cover band at a wedding reception.
  • My Guardian Angel -- The Pistoleros. A great band that never got discovered. And even though half the lyrics are in Spanish, the English part delivers--And though I once was rich I know what it is to be hungry, and though I nearly drowned, I know what it is to be thirsty... Good stuff!
  • Who Says You Can't Go Home -- Bon Jovi. I don't know why I like this song so much. Runaway was better, but I'm older now.
  • Ready To Go -- Republica. Great party song, and who doesn't think of Audrey dancing at the Neon Boneyard whenever you hear it?
  • Knock Three Times -- Tony Orlando. This song is starting to make a comeback here in Vegas. I'm hearing it around town more and more.
  • Bust A Move -- Young MC. Probably my favorite rap song of all time. And it's full of great advice like Don't hang yourself with a celibate rope.
  • Ole Ole Ole -- Ricky Martin. Holy shiat--what an absolutely fantastic song! It's all in Spanish, but damn, such an energetic tune.
  • Can't Get You Out Of My Head -- Kylie Minogue. Is it a ballad? Is it top-40 fluff? I don't really know, but I like it.
  • Gone Away -- The Offspring. I always thought it was a damn good song, but then I listened to the words and realized it's one of the saddest ballads ever written. Probably the best song by a great band with tons of great material.

That's all that would fit on the CD, but I think it's enough to keep me entertained.

Mikey

No comments: