Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Day Off

Sorry gang, for taking Tuesday off from writing, but I've been totally lazy the past three days. Of course my system is working overtime to kill this bug, so I haven't had a lot of strength, and loading the dishwasher and doing two loads of laundry was about all the motivation I had in me for the past 72 hours.

On the plus side, I went another day without taking any medicine, and 90% of my symptoms have abated, so I'm feeling *much* better. Oh, I'm still a bit sick--I can hear that crap in my lungs when I breathe, but it's breaking up. I'm not coughing at all anymore, don't have a sore throat, and my sinuses have been clear for about a day and a half. The sinus pressure has moved from the 'south side' below my eyes, up north so that I have a slight sinus headache localized behind my eyebrows. It only hurts when I wrinkle my forehead. So I'm definitely on the mend and luckily won't be missing any more work.

Still, I'm not feeling well enough to go our running around or do any grocery shopping, so I didn't do any creative cookery yesterday. I still have half of my cornbread left, and Rob is teasing me with making another batch of super colon blow minestrone, but the cornbread will be long gone before that batch of soup gets made. And now I'm out of cornmeal mix, too. Yesterday, I made some blueberry pancakes and link sausage, along with a pot of coffee. That pretty much held me over all day--dinner consisted of the last bit of that smoky mystery Hickory Farms cheese and a handful of crackers.

But I need to go grocery shopping--I'm running out of all kinds of stuff. I just used the last bit of my flavored coffee creamer yesterday, I have no strawberry preserves, I'm down to my last can of coffee, and while I know it's almost blasphemous to admit, there is not a drop of Captain Morgan to be found anywhere on the premises!

I also still want to do my crab-fest once I feel better--crab rangoon and maybe some stuffed mushrooms too. (And yes, I will post the recipe as soon as I do it). I'm also going to have to bite the bullet and go back to Smith's or Albertson's -- Wallyworld does not sell pre-made dough, and I'm still going to take a shot at deep dish pizza, if only to prove to Rob that Italian sausage and black olive is a viable topping combination. He seems to think it would suck. Seriously--how can you go wrong with a sweet/salty combination like that? It would be as irresistible to the palate as honey-roasted cashews and more fun than dipping french fries in your Frosty. I also want to try some sort of pizza with caramelized onions, perhaps with prosciutto. I think that would *totally* kick ass.

I suppose I could hit Trader Joe's, I've heard they've got decent pre-made dough. Maybe I can get my hands on some good San Marzano tomatoes while I'm there, too.

It might be a couple of weeks before that happens, if only because I'd also have to go out and buy *two* deep dish pizza pans, making the unit cost per pie rather expensive this first go 'round. But after that, assembly line city, baby! If they turn out as good as I think they will, I may have to put deep-dish pizza in the regular rotation, returning grilled ham and cheese to 'lunch only' status.

Damn, I'm getting hungry just typing this. Maybe I should've had something besides cheese and crackers for dinner.

Mikey

No comments: