Monday, January 28, 2008

Pizza Gonna Wait

Still waiting for the UPS man to show up with my pizza pan today...

Ok, so last night (uh, this morning) after work, I went grocery shopping, thinking I'd get the rest of the stuff I'd need for my culinary masterpieces I've got scheduled for my days off. Unfortunately, I was at the store in the middle of the night, and the service deli was closed--no prosciutto available, and the 'fresh' mozzarella that I saw didn't look too good, either. So I was thinking I'd just go with the 'garbage' six-topping pizza, but then, their selection of tomatoes and tomato sauces at Smith's left something to be desired. Also, since it was the middle of the night, they had pallets and pallets of stuff stacked in the aisles, ready to be stocked, and access to the pepperoni was completely denied, too.

Something seemed to be telling me to wait...

I was also going to make the rest of those crab rangoons today, but somebody, who shall remain nameless, went on a super cleaning spree this weekend and tossed out my saucepan full of cooking oil that was on the stove, thinking it was no longer being used... Well, that, and he wanted to use the pan to make stuffing. No big deal--those rangoons are a huge pain in the ass to make, so I'm not too bummed out about it. So what should I do with all that leftover crab filling?

Well, I got me a package of baby portobella caps and decided to go with stuffed mushrooms. Since the pizza ingredients were denied, I picked up some bread crumbs, a can of mushroom stems and pieces, some grated Parmesan (the real stuff, not that stuff in the green can you sprinkle on spaghetti), and the bane of my existence, dried chives. I looked all over that friggin' store for fresh chives, but they were nowhere to be found, so I had to cough up damn near six bucks in the spice aisle for a jar of freeze-dried ones. I hope they work out ok, or I'm going to be pissed.

So I'm going to take the crab mixture, add a few things to it, and try my hand at stuffed mushrooms. They should be good. Oh, and I fixed the settings on my camera, so hopefully the photo evidence won't turn out blue this time, either.

I've also got all the ingredients lying in wait in the fridge to make a batch of red enchiladas, too. I think that'll be lunch/dinner tomorrow.

Mikey

No comments: