Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Ultimate Accessory

Late last night I was surfing around on the internet, and I found myself 'Windows' shopping over at The Sportsman's Guide. I used to buy stuff there all the time back when I lived in Nashville, but I haven't purchased anything from them probably since I've been here in Vegas. But I still like to browse, and while I was looking, I stumbled across the Ultimate Man Cave Accessory:



No, I'm not talking about a blonde in a purple sweater, I'm talking about the coffee table with a nifty pop-up top. Isn't that the greatest idea EVER?

Right now, we're using Rob's black pleather ottoman as a coffee table/footstool. It works, and it matches the rest of our so-called furniture just fine. But it's just not as functional as the table you see here. First of all, it'd be better to eat off of than the ottoman. We still don't have a dining room table, so most of our meals are consumed in the living room while we crouch over the foot stool. We don't even own TV trays.

Second of all, a lot of times when we're watching football, a trivia question will come up that needs some research, or we hear of a school that neither one of us knows it's location, so I go grab my laptop and bring it out to the living room to look stuff up. We also refer to the computer a lot on Saturdays during college football season to get up-to-the-moment score updates, since we both usually have a stack of parlay cards working and are concerned with ten different games at any one time. But a table like that would be a most excellent platform to do instantaneous research from, even better than my lap.

So yeah, that piece of furniture is now a definite 'must-have' as far as I'm concerned. I'd still like to get a dining room table and some chairs, or at least a folding utility table from Sam's Club and some banquet chairs, just so we have a work/eating surface bigger than our desks or the ottoman. I've got a few jigsaw puzzles in the closet that I haven't broken the seal on yet, just because I don't have a suitable table for them. So maybe a utility table for the dining room is a higher priority, but that pop-up coffee table *will* be a fixture in the living room before next football season rolls around.

The funny thing is, I have had experience with a coffee table like that in the past, but had forgotten about it. About eight years ago, I was dating this completely crazy biatch named Corrine, and she had all the cool toys--a kick ass SUV, a pop-up coffee table, and the first 55-inch widescreen TV I'd ever seen. Of course, she was a total psycho biatch and my buddies hated her, but I couldn't help myself--she had a nice rack, lots of money, and loved to cook. I should've known something wasn't quite right the first time I went to her place and saw that she had a room in her house that held nothing but shoes (way before that guy on The Italian Job did). Seriously, she had over 500 pairs of shoes in there. WTF?

Anyhow, we were dating during the Y2K scare/turn of the century, which was also the miracle year for the Rams when they won the Super Bowl. So I spent that wonderful Super Bowl Sunday feasting on an endless buffet of munchables at her pop-up coffee table and watching the Rams win on that beautiful 55-inch television. As I recall, I may have gotten my hands on that nice rack of hers before/during/and afterwards, too.

As Bill Murray so famously said in Groundhog Day-- " That was a *pretty* good day... "

Ah, but eventually things turned sour between us and we went our separate ways. Last I heard, she moved to Indy with a new boyfriend, and I haven't seen her in almost seven years. But as nice as those boobies were, I'd really like to get my hands on that coffee table again.

Mikey

No comments: