Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Still Cold in Vegas...

But at least I have the next two days off!

Howdy everyone--sorry I haven't posted since Saturday, but my sleep/work schedule has been all jacked up for a few days, so instead of writing, I've done a whole lotta relaxing in my off-time these past few days.

Let's see, what's been happening in the world of Mikey? Well, like I said, it's still too frickin' cold here in Las Vegas, and it's not even officially Winter yet. And since I really don't have much in the way of winter clothes, outside of a few flannel shirts and a leather jacket, I broke down last week and bought a fleece jacket. Not that I really wanted to spend the cash, but my hoodie with the broken zipper just wasn't cutting it as far as keeping me warm goes. Of course, I could get the zipper fixed, and I actually tried to do so on Saturday, but I was denied.

When times are good, I always just replace clothes whenever I need something new, but cash has been tight for several months, and instead of buying new stuff, I take my clothes to the alterations shop for repair. Well, I haven't needed to do so in quite awhile--basically since I moved into this apartment last summer--so now that a couple pairs of work pants needed attention, I took a few things down to the local shop here in my new neighborhood.

Big mistake. I got nothing but attitude from the nazi/Hun bitch that was working in the place as soon as I walked in, (These must be dry-cleaned before I can work on them!) and then she told me it would cost me $30 to repair the pants (basically fix two seams, a sewing job that would take TWO minutes, tops, and use maybe fifteen cents worth of materials). At the alteration shop over in my old neighborhood, any seams would cost $4 to fix, and they'd do them while I waited, or at the longest, they'd be ready the next day.

So, instead of getting my pants done and a couple of zippers fixed on other items, I took the whole pile of clothes back to the truck and basically told the lady she was a con artist and wouldn't be getting my business. I guess I'll be heading back over to the old neighborhood at some point in the next two days and getting all the work done there.

Oh well. In the meantime, I'm waiting for the UPS man to deliver my new jacket (yes, I ordered it online--no tax and free shipping!) Perhaps when I was shopping, I should've just ordered a couple of pairs of new work pants, too.

Anyhow, while I was out, feeling a little bitter about the whole alterations shop experience, I went over to Albertson's to use that $25 gift card they gave us at work. The plan was to use it to buy a bottle of rum, but damn, Albertson's was trying to rip me off on Saturday too! They wanted $14.99 for a bottle of Captain Morgan. Believe me, I've bought enough of that stuff in the past to know when I'm getting jacked. Everywhere else in town sells it for about $12.99 a bottle. Stoli Vanilla? They wanted $21 ($18 at Lee's or Walmart). Basically, every bottle of booze I would consider was overpriced, so I just gave up and went without. I ended up buying a bunch of cheese and crackers and stuff like that, instead, along with a bottle of toffee-flavored coffee creamer.

Seriously, I have no idea how Albertson's stays in business out here--everything is so overpriced.

As far as work goes, it seemed to be getting better these past few weeks, but then on Saturday, business just died again. I figure it was because everyone was going to Christmas parties and such elsewhere and finishing up all their holiday chores. It's been pretty slow the past three nights or so, but I'm sure that once Thursday or Friday rolls around, all the local degenerates with family in town will be out and about once again.

I found out that yeah, I will be working on Christmas Eve (big shocker there), but since it's my 'Friday', I should be able to get out early. A bunch of people I work with want to go out after our shift, but I'm not so sure I want to join them (I feel bad that I'm stuck working that night, and I'd hate to do that to some bartender some where, too). But I've got Christmas day off, which is cool, so hopefully I can go out and have a nice dinner with friends that night. But then I have to go back and work on Wednesday night, which makes absolutely no sense to me, and then they gave me Friday night off. Hmmm... I hope it's a good trade, as far as tokes are concerned. I *really* don't like giving up my Friday nights. And I'm not a big fan of split days off, either.

Anyhow...

That's the news from out here. I know, it's boring, but I hope to have a few more interesting posts later today and tomorrow. Right now I want to get up and make a pot of coffee and sit in front of the TV for awhile (they added a bunch of new HD channels to our lineup this week, so I'm gonna go see what we've got).

Later,

Mikey

No comments: