Tuesday, December 04, 2007

The Foodie 'Weekend'

It looks like I'm in for a pretty damn good weekend now that I've come to the end of my workweek. First of all, it was dead slow again last night, so I got out after just a few hours. I know, I've told myself that I'm not taking early outs anymore, but, 1) we made decent money these past few weeks, so the paycheck will be a little better, and 2) I was scheduled on some truly god-awful games last night and had absolutely no desire to be there at work dealing to the bottom-feeders at the $5 blackjack tables.

So I went to bed early last night (before midnight), and now I'm wide awake--no coffee needed.

My plan for the day is to make a few posts here on the website, maybe catch up on some sleep, run a few errands, do a few chores, and then once Rob gets home, we'll catch up on our Jeopardy episodes--I think we have three or four on the DVR as I type this.

But then, later this evening, we're heading over to Amore's Pizza out on the west side to try some authentic Chicago-style deep dish pizza. Of course, I'm a true-blue koolaid-drinking fanatic when it comes to thin-crust NY-style pizza, and haven't had the thick stuff in over ten years. So it will be a nice change of pace. Rob raves about it, and has eaten there a few times over the past couple of months, so I'm going to give it a try. I'm sure it will be great, but comparing it to NY-style isn't a valid comparison. Grimaldi's is still my first love, and as good as I'm imagining Amore's will be, it would be like choosing between Shannon Elizabeth or Jaime Pressley. Both, I'm sure, are quite tasty, but I still have my favorite.

Anyhow, I think the plan is that we eat there for dinner and then head over to his old roommate's place for some 5-cent craps and cheap beer until the wee hours.

Who says you need a lot of money to have a good time in Vegas?

Tomorrow morning, I'll probably trek over to Silverado Ranch and hit the new Dunkin' Donuts for a box of 'police Wheaties'. As good as I used to think Krispy Kremes were, I think Dunkin' makes a better donut. Maybe I'll pick up a box of both (we have both outlets close by) and we'll do a side-by-side taste test. I know that DD is famous for their coffee, but I've had it before, and yeah it's better than Starbucks (actually, pretty much any coffee is better than Starbucks) but nothing comes close to the stuff I brew here at the house. Don Fransisco is the reigning champion of coffee and nothing I've tried has even challenged him for java supremacy. Not even Tim Horton, who all the Canadians rave about.

Anyhow, if Rob is up and lurking about the house in the morning, we'll have a donut taste test and post pics.

The plan for Wednesday night is to have dinner at a local Mexican joint called Guadalajara. I've never eaten there, but Rob has a gift certificate and the menu looks pretty damn good, so we're going to give that a try. As always, I'll try and post a review.

That should pretty much do it, as far as grub is concerned, for the next couple of days. Then it's back to toast and coffee in the mornings and dinner a la employee dining room. But word around the campfire is that Dougie will be in town next week, and we're shooting for a day of poker and Grimaldi's pizza while he's here.

Stay tuned.

Mikey

No comments: