Thursday, December 27, 2007

It Feels Like a Friday

Howdy everybody!

I want to apologize to those of you who check my site for updates first thing in the morning when you get to work--my traffic stats show that most of my visitors check in before 11:00 am, and that's why I *try* to have updated posts in the morning.

And that was my plan this morning, but as soon as I got home from work, showered, and crawled into bed with my laptop, I heard Rob lurking around in the kitchen and living room, so I got back up and went out to be social. We ended up watching a couple more episodes of Jeopardy--and of course I got the final question right, the answer was Hadrian's Wall--followed by a long discussion of the history of classic rock, focusing on Pink Floyd. Now, I'm not much of a Floyd fan--I'll listen to them on occasion, but I'm not into them at all, nor do I own any of their music. But Rob is the ultimate Floyd connoisseur, knowing more about their music than Paris Hilton knows about shopping.

So we talked for quite awhile and he busted out a couple of the bootleg CDs and gave me a history lesson. I think we stayed up till around 6:30 or so listening to some weird effin' music, and by then I was dozing off, so I called it a night without checking in here on the blog.

It felt pretty strange working on a Wednesday, especially since I was doing hour-and-twenties on my tables. We were busy as hell, and what made it tough on me was the fact that I'm now coming down with a cold and felt like total shiat when I got to work last night. So I signed up for the early out, but I was slammed all night long and unable to get out at a reasonable hour. As much as I wanted to stop at the store on the way home and get some medicine, it was just too damn cold and windy outside, so I came straight home.

And then, getting that last 20 feet into my parking space was almost impossible because the sprinklers had come on earlier in the evening, drained all over the parking lot, and with the cold temperatures and the freezing wind, it turned the surface into an ice rink. Yep, the parking lot here at the apartment complex was frozen solid, and just getting up that 1% grade into my spot was next to hopeless. I sat out there spinning the tires on the truck for five minutes, using lower gears, doing whatever I could to gain traction, all to no avail. I finally was able to back up and find a dry spot, so I took a running start and slid into my spot, missing the roof support for the covered parking by about a half an inch and using the Braille method to come to a stop at the curb.

When I got up this morning around 11:00, it was bright and sunny out, but still windy and cold. But I bundled up and headed out to do some errands, which is why I felt like today was Friday instead of Thursday. I picked up the mail, got gas, went to the bank, and headed to Walgreens to buy a bunch of drugs. My head cold is pretty mild, and I'm hoping it stays that way. But the first thing on my agenda tomorrow is to move my bed away from the outside wall--I'm sure that's what's causing me to get a cold. I have no headboard, so my pillows are up against the wall, and this apartment, I've found, is not insulated very well. I wake up every morning and the wall is freezing cold to the touch, and these past few days I've had a stuffed up nose and a slightly sore throat every morning.

Anyhow, once I got back home, there was another UPS package on the patio--this one from Justin in Wisconsin (I *think* he was also the one who sent the alarm clock). But there was a big stainless steel shower caddy inside, which is something I've needed for some time now. And Rob came home a few minutes later, carrying another big box for me from Drew (also from Wisconsin), and inside was another muffin tin and a set of Pyrex mixing bowls. Apparently, I need to get in the kitchen and start making stuff.

Thanks again, fellas! And as always, it was much appreciated.

I nuked myself a bowl of chili with some shredded smoky mozz on top, and I have to admit, it was pretty damn good on a cold day like today.

Rob and I sat in the living room and continued our discussion of music and movies, and we decided to watch The Commitments, one of my all-time favorite movies, which he'd never seen before. And the funny thing is, the DVD came from a reader several months ago--Lisa in Massachusetts, and we've been corresponding through email this week, talking about that movie and all the good music that's included. Anyhow, I finally introduced Rob to it today, and he enjoyed it. And of course I always get a kick out of re-watching it.

But the first round of drugs seems to be wearing off, so it's time for me to head back to the kitchen and 'med-up' again once more before heading off to work. Luckily I'm off tomorrow, so hopefully a bit of rest, along with staying in out of the cold, will do me some good.

Mikey

No comments: