Thursday, October 19, 2006

It's Gonna Be a Good Day, Tater!

Yesterday I got plenty of much-needed rest, and went to bed at a reasonable hour. So I was wide-awake at 5 am this morning, checking the email, surfing the net, and listening to Mike & Mike on tv.

And around 5:20 my phone started ringing. Only one person calls me at those oddball hours, and that's my friend Stephanie. We chatted for a few minutes, and eventually she talked me into meeting her for cocktails. (Oh yeah, twist my arm...) She was just getting off work--she's a waitress down at a Strip resort--and wanted some company. Of course I was willing to provide it...

So I put on some pants, did a swish of Listerine (I remembered to spit it out this time), and gave myself a once-over with some of that Tag body spray. Ten minutes later we were happily pissing away ten bucks in the video blackjack machine and sipping on 'free' drinks. Ultra for her, Baily's and coffee for me after my first Newcastle. We had a great visit for about an hour or so before she had to go and drop off the car she was borrowing back at her parent's house.

We haven't hung out together in months--she'd been dating someone, so I didn't hear from her for awhile. But she told me that it's over now. I kind of figured that was the case when my phone started ringing again in the middle of the night these past couple of weeks.

But it's all good. Most of the chicks I've met in this town have tons of baggage, and she is refreshingly issue-free. Of course we're just friends and all--she could have any guy in this town she wanted, but it's certainly nice to have a 'normal' person to hang out with. I just wish we had the same days off. Since we don't, it's early morning drinks or breakfast only.

So I settled up with the bartender, and came back home just as the sun was starting to light up the valley.

I had a mild case of the munchies when I got home, so I've been sitting here nibbling on a unique snack. Yesterday when I was at Target, I picked up a couple of bags of Archer Farms nuts. The most interesting one was a pack of Chili-Lime Pistachios.

Oh. Hell. Yeah.

I dig pistachios anyways, but damn, these are tasty. If I owned a bar, I'd set bowls of these out, along with dried Wasabi peas. And I'd make a fortune on beer sales! It's not that they're hot, but they've got just enough zip to them to make them addictive. They're quickly becoming a new favorite.

Anyhow... I've got one more night of work before the next chapter of buffoonery begins, so I'll probably post some more tomorrow afternoon, and then after that, you might not hear from me again for a few days. Hopefully the digital camera is still working and can fill in the memory gaps come Sunday afternoon.

I've got no plans for the day except to do last-minute errands and rest up. Something tells me I'm gonna need it.

Mikey

No comments: