Monday, October 16, 2006

Forgot One

Apparently, a very small minority of readers (as in, ONE) took exception to my posting of gun pictures the other day. But shooting really is a fun hobby that I enjoy, and things that interest me, and obviously several of my readers, are things that I'm going to continue writing and posting about. And I certainly get more interest in this than my sorry-assed football picks every week.

With that in mind, let's move on.

When I posted my new wishlist the other day, I made a glaring omission. You can't have just one military-style rifle, and although the M-1 (not the Garand, but Springfields's civilian version of the military's M-14), is probably the rifle I'd buy if I could only have just one. But blasting pumpkins and such with .308 ammo can get pricey, so having an automatic on hand that shoots cheap ammo has an appeal all it's own.

So I'm adding an AR-15 to the list. And it's an evil black rifle that anyone can own, not just gubmint agents or law enforcement types-- so it drives lefties crazy (always a bonus!). Here's a picture of a model I find especially appealing:


There are innumerable variations of the AR-15, which is basically a civilian model of the military's M-16, but this particular one is a Colt A3, Model MT6700C, firing the affordable .223 Remington cartridge with either a 55 or 62 grain bullet from the naughty end.

I've never been a fan of the black plastic Glock-style handguns very much at all--I think they're ugly, and to me they remind me of most mid-sized sedans offered for sale nowadays--besides being visually unappealing, they all look alike. That distaste for plastic also carries over to most rifles, but for some reason, I like the look of a 'traditional' AR-15. Even though it looks like it could've been built by Mattel, it's design is all-business.

I think owning one would pretty much complete the collection.

Mikey

No comments: