Wednesday, March 29, 2006

As If I Didn't Feel Old Already


I just realized that two of the Greatest Albums of All Time both turn 20 next year. Holy Shit, I'm getting old. Was it really that long ago?

1987 was a pretty damn good year, as far as music is concerned. That was also the year INXS released their uber-album Kick. I was living in San Diego back then, and spent most of my time driving a tire delivery truck all over the county listening to 91-X and all of the best new stuff like REM, The Hoodoo Gurus, The Beat Farmers, Oingo Boingo, The Cure, The Smiths, and New Order. That year pretty much set my musical tastes in stone.

Because of that, I can't think of any single album that's come out since then with as much excellent music, except for maybe the Gin Blossoms New Miserable Experience. But that one is pushing 15 years old, too. Has there been anything put out in the past ten years that's got any kind of staying power, not to mention at least six good tracks on the album? I'm wracking my brain and can't think of anything.

Hell, even Kid Rock's best effort is already ten years old.

Mikey

No comments: