Thursday, May 28, 2009

Last Post From This Old House

Yep, the time has come to unplug the computer and the TV and get them moved over to my new apartment. I've got an appointment to meet the cable guy in about 12 hours from now, but since I'm a night-crawler, I'm up and preparing for the rest of this busy day. I should probably start by taking a shower, since I've been wearing the same shorts and t-shirt since Tuesday morning, and I can't remember the last time I shaved. Instead of having two places to live, I look--and probably smell--like I have zero...

Anyhow, yesterday wasn't nearly as productive as I had hoped--apparently, my truck doesn't hold as much cargo as I thought it did, and the monster dolly, after probably years of non-use, had flat tires, something you can't tell when you're pushing it around empty. I didn't really need it that much to do the loading--I can back my truck right up to the garage here, so everything that's in there is just a matter of schlepping it about 10 or 15 feet. I had a few totes stacked at the bottom of the stairs, however, and being full of books, they were heavy. Stacked three high, it was damn near impossible to maneuver the dolly, and now I've got a huge black stripe on the entryway sidewalk that needs to get scrubbed off.

So on my way over to the new place, I stopped at the gas station with the idea of putting air in the tires. One problem--I left my wallet on the desk upstairs in the bedroom back at the house, and didn't have a single dollar to my name--and I needed 75 cents for air. No change in the center console, either. Damn.

There was a guy sitting on a planter outside the doors at the Sinclair station, begging for change, and for a moment I thought of turning the tables on him and asking him for a buck. But didn't thing he'd be willing to part with a portion of his hard-earned scratch, especially to a well-dressed and successful gentleman like myself.

So it was back to the house to fetch the wallet and start all over again.

The second attempt was much more successful, and flush with cash, not only did I spend 75 cents on compressed air, I grabbed a Marathon Energy Bar and some Gatorade. That made a huge difference, as the last meal I'd had was late Sunday night at work. I aired up the tires on the dolly, and it was much easier to do the unload--it took me all of ten minutes to get the truck emptied out. And I realized at that point that I have three bins full of booze--two coolers and one plastic storage tote. Damn, I should've done more drinking last month, if only to make for less stuff to haul.

At this point, I'm just stacking everything in the living room, and I'm realizing that I have packrat tendencies. I'm amazed at how much more junk I've collected in the past four years, yet none of it is furniture, save for a couple of bookcases and a TV stand. And I still have to move the bed, TV, desk, all of my clothes, end tables, and my mini fridge, not to mention all of my kitchen stuff which is still mostly in the garage, but some is actually in the, you know, kitchen.

The energy bar just served as an appetizer, because by the time I finished up, I realized how hungry I was. One cannot live on coffee alone for very long. Before leaving however, I left another scorching message at the leasing office--the work was *still* not done on my place--and while the last message was more like measured, "Heads up" call, this time there was a little bit of urgency in my message and I made them aware that I'm running out of patience. If it doesn't get done today, then they're gonna get a full-on shiat-storm on the answering machine on Friday morning.

Anyhow, on the way back to the house, I stopped for dinner at a local Mexican joint--Fausto's. There are a couple of them here in Henderson, Marcie introduced me to 'em, and they are wonderful. Like a cleaner and better-run Roberto's Taco Shop. I had myself a huge carne asada burrito and three rolled tacos, washing it all down with some raspberry iced tea. Oh hell yeah was it good. Normally, I can't quite finish all that, but last night, it was no problemo. I mowed it down with extreme prejudice and also had a handful of pickled carrots to go with it. Yum!

While eating alone, it's almost a compulsion for me to have something to read. I feel naked if I don't have a book or magazine with me. Luckily, I'd had the foresite to rummage through one of my storage totes and grabbed a book on the way out, Anthony Bourdain's Bone In The Throat. Unlike his other books, this one is a work of fiction--a gangster/crime novel--and even though the reviews were kinda so-so, I find that I'm really enjoying it. So far, I've loved everything he's written, fact or fiction, and this one is no exception.

Anyhow, dinner was excellent, and a nice break and re-charge. But once I got back here to the house, it was getting late so I didn't get too much else done. I read for a bit, then went to bed for a few hours. Now that I'm up, I'm planning on how the rest of my day is gonna go.

I was thinking the bed might get moved this afternoon, but I'm having my doubts. Pretty much everything else I need for living will be at the new place by 1:00 this afternoon, then I've got to hang out and wait for the cable guy. I plan on spending the down time hanging up pictures and settling in and getting the new place somewhat organized while I wait around this afternoon, and I don't know if I'll feel up to getting the bed wrestled down the stairs and over to the new place after all I've got to do today. So I may spend twenty bucks for an air mattress to sleep on for the next couple of nights and bring the bed over last.

Anyhow, that's all from here. The next time I post, it'll be from the new apartment. I'm not sure when that'll be, but if I run out of gas this afternoon, it may be tonight--I'll probably be writing from the floor of my new living room, sprawled out under the ceiling fan and enjoying a dinner of ibuprofen and Gatorade.


No comments: