Thursday, May 28, 2009

Back In Business!

Woot! That didn't take long... Usually, when I've moved in the past, I've been offline for a couple of days or more. Not this time, baby. I unhooked the computer this morning around 10:30, and here it is, not even four hours later, and I'm back up and running at the new place!

I was first on the list for the cable guy, and he got here about quarter after one. It only took him about a half hour to get the apartment wired and the TV and modem up to speed. Now if I only had my desk here and my TV stand put together, I'd be in great shape... Yep, I'm lying on the floor as I type this, in the corner of my new bedroom, enjoying the sweet sweet air conditioning.

I brought a bunch of heavy stuff over this morning, knowing I had to be here between 1:00 and 3:00 to meet the cable guy, but damn, did that ever suck. It was hot outside. Luckily when I got here, I scored a covered spot close to my front door, so the unload was much easier. And Linda's hand-truck has been a godsend. I'd be paying a couple of day laborers to move all this shiat otherwise. Lugging boxes full of books in this heat sucks like crap on a stick.

I also talked to the leasing office today--they're gonna beg borrow and steal from another empty unit and get my blinds replaced and my laundry closet doors installed sometime this afternoon. Then I should be good to go.

The first thing I did once I got here was to unload all the booze since it's taking up the most floor space. Besides a shelf full of rum, I've got a lot of oddball stuff on hand. Blue Curacao? When am I ever gonna use that? And that bottle of Seagrams VO--it might be awhile before I get around to putting that in the ol' cocktail shaker. And there is a two year old bottle of Jager that's gonna probably be around for several more years unless I can get Larry the surfing sailor to drop by on his next visit to Sin City. Somehow, the bottle of Ketel One is nowhere to be found...

Anyhow, I'm gonna lay low for the next few hours, waiting for the sun to go down. Then I'll hit up Wally World for an air mattress, a few more totes, and a couple of other odds and ends, then head back to the old house. Most of my clothes are still over there, and I haven't touched the bathroom yet, either. Luckily, all the heavy stuff except the bed and desk are already moved. Tonight's load will be much easier, and since I won't be distracted by TV or internet while I'm over there, I'll get done much faster. I'll get some cleaning done, grab my clothes, empty the pantry, and bring over the small stuff that's stacked in the gameroom. By then, I'll be about 99% finished with the move. Then I begin unpacking and making this place liveable.


No comments: