Friday, May 29, 2009

I Shouldn't Feel This Lazy on a Friday Afternoon

Man, I just can't seem to get it into gear today.

I guess it might have something to do with blowing off my chores last night and going to play poker instead. Yep, I should've gone back to the old house last night and got some work done, but once I got back here to the apartment, I just didn't feel like doing much. I kicked it around here for a bit--the maintenance guy came by and installed a set of blinds in the living room, but the rest of the stuff on the list, not so much...

Anyhow, once the sun went down and I got a few boxes unloaded, I changed my shirt and drove over to the casino for a bit. The poker room was hopping, and I had to wait about 20 minutes for a table, but it was nice to get away from the grunt work for awhile.

I didn't have much luck to start out with--I think I got stuck a hundred bucks in the first half-hour. That's the downside of getting big suited Aces, flopping four to the flush, and then never getting there. I called away eighty bucks, easy, on hands that never made it. Even worse, I folded a four-of-a-kind, and right now, any quads pays a $100 bonus.

I had pocket threes pre-flop, of course it got raised, so I called. I was in early position, the flop ran out 9-10-J, so I checked, somebody bet, somebody else raised, and I did the prudent thing and folded--my threes being no good at all. The turn brought a three, which was a little irritating, but somebody else had obviously flopped a straight, so I felt like it was a good laydown. Then the river brought the case three and I was a little pissed... Oh well, what can ya do?

Besides being stuck for a hundy most of the night and giving up on a big hand too soon, to make matters worse, the air conditioning at the casino had gone out, too. So it slowly got hot in the poker room. I would've just left, but I wanted to get my money back--and there were a couple of guys at the table who I knew I could beat, it was just a matter of time. I sat there sweating my ass off, trying to catch a hand all night long. But I was card-dead for a good solid two hours or more, so it was truly a grind.

Eventually, I made a couple of flushes and got paid off, and around 5 am this morning, I was up $26 for the night. The game was shorthanded, I was hot, and tired, so I called it a night. I was gonna go over to the old house and sleep on the bed under the ceiling fan, but decided to just crash at the apartment instead (it's actually closer to the casino). So I drove over here, rolled out a sleeping bag and a couple of comforters in the living room, and crashed for several hours on the floor.

Now, I'm all stiff from sleeping like a bum, and I've got to get over to the house and get all of my clothes and the stuff out of the bathroom. I'm pretty sure I'm down to the last two truckloads, mostly small stuff, besides the bed and desk, and then I'll be done. But then I'll be spending a few days unpacking and getting the new place organized. Right now the living room looks like a warehouse, and the only thing in the bedroom is a suitcase, a bookshelf, and my computer on the floor in the corner.

I'll be glad when this is all over.


No comments: