Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Riding On The Metro...

I only had to work a half-day today, but it was a good day, regardless. I went in at six, not really looking forward to my day, and when I got to the poker room I was happy to see a game in progress, and from the looks of the players, it had been going on for quite some time. I guess the graveyard dealer was working some overtime, so I pushed him out as soon as I got there, and I was locked down in the box for the next two hours.

Yep, instead of sitting on my ass watching CNBC and SportsCenter reruns for the first couple of hours of my day, I was dealing a very juicy 4/8 game. Included was a drunk that had been at the table since 1 pm the day before, who somehow had a huge stack of chips in front of him, a couple of other random folks pulling all-nighters, a dealer from Green Valley Ranch, and a couple of dealers from the Flamingo. So it was a great table.

Around 7 am, however, somebody spilled an entire Heineken on the layout, and we had to pick up the game and move it to another table. It slowed down a bit at that point--two players colored up, and I was afraid the game was going to break. It almost did, but the last three players were die-hards and insisted on playing three-handed.

I finally got a break at 8:00 am when another dealer showed up, but by then I'd already made a hundred bucks. I was ready for a break though. I needed to hit the head, stretch, and get something to drink, as calling the game for two hours straight had given me a pretty dry mouth.

After that, it was half-hour on/half-hour off until 11, when a couple of tournament dealers showed up. Unfortunately, that meant there were four dealers to share one cash game. The tournament never got off the ground--only three players had signed up by 11, so they canceled it and sent me on my way. I didn't mind too much. Yeah, it would've been nice to stick around a couple more hours and pick up a little more scratch, but I'd made more money than I'd expected, so I couldn't complain too much.

On the way home, I was contemplating filling up the gas tank, but the little warning light isn't on yet, and gas has dropped 28 cents a gallon since I last filled up (it's down to $3.99 at most places in my neighborhood). I figured I could make it until the weekend, hoping that maybe it'll drop a few more cents between now and then. I was on the phone with Lars when I drove into the gas station, but then I realized my tank wasn't quite as empty as I thought it was, so I just did a circle of the parking lot and got back out on the road.

I made a stop at Walgreens to pick up my prints I ordered yesterday, and they turned out nice for such a cheapie camera. I also picked up a couple of picture frames and other doo-dads before heading back towards the house. I was kind of hungry at the time, so instead of coming home and making a salad, which was my original plan, I celebrated my good fortune and stopped at the Metro Pizza that's about two blocks from my house.

I haven't had Metro in a good long time, so I thought I'd give it a try. I ordered a large pepperoni and mushroom pie so that I could have some leftovers, and it was out on my table in no time. Yep, it's still very good, but I have to give it the participation ribbon when it comes to Vegas pizza. Grimaldi's still gets the Gold medal, far and away the best pizza in town. The Silver medal goes to Chicago Brewing Company--and it's slowly becoming my favorite restaurant out here. The pizza is damn good, but so is the rest of their menu. New York Pizza & Pasta gets the Bronze hardware--their pizza is right up there with the best. As good as Metro is, and as many awards and accolades it's been given, well, it's still just fourth best in my book. But hey, if Metro pizza is the fourth best pizza joint in your town, well then, you are truly blessed.

While I was eating, I got a text message from Terry, who lives out in California-land, saying that they were having an earthquake. After the fires and evacuations last month, my simple reply was Locusts are next!

I haven't heard back.

Anyhow, that's the news for today. I'm going to spend the rest of my afternoon paring down the DVR--it's Shark Week, so I've got a lot of documentaries to watch. And tonight is more of the 2008 WSOP coverage, so I'm gonna be watching that, too.

Basically, I'm all about the boob tube tonight. Unfortunately, there will be no boobies involved.

Mikey

PS... I got most of the rest of the custom ringtones loaded on my phone today. Doc Al is off the hook from his Copa Cabana. It's got a long percussion intro that I'd never hear, so I scratched that and gave him something a bit more manly--the Elvis/JXL remix of A Little Less Conversation. LV Terry got Big Pimpin', and Eddie B's got changed to Just A Gigolo. Andrea is no longer a Redneck Woman, either... And my basic everyday ringtone is The Stripper, by David Rose.

No comments: