Friday, July 18, 2008

I'll Catnap When I'm Dead

Here it is after midnight on Thursday night/Friday morning, and I'm tired, but wide awake. That whole episode of getting called in at 1:30 in the morning the other day really jacked with my system, and I haven't recovered yet.

I was obviously exhausted when I came home that day, but was unable to get more than a couple of hours of sleep--the dogs kept barking and waking me up, and I couldn't sleep in the middle of the night because my system is still stuck on swing shift. So basically I was up all night before going to work yesterday. I was ok with that, figuring I'd eventually just collapse from exhaustion and get a good ten hours of sleep at some point in the next few days. But since I was up all night anyways, my plan was to get up early and take myself out to a nice leisurely breakfast over at Green Valley Ranch, reading the paper and enjoying a pot of coffee before strolling in to work.

But I got caught up reading yesterday morning, and only gave myself an extra 20 minutes or so before having to leave the house. So while I saved the expense of eating at the Original Pancake House, I got stuck having breakfast in the employee dining room. The food, while decent, sure doesn't measure up to the Pancake House. Oh, and on top of that, the air conditioning in the dining room has been broken for the past two days, so my sub-par meal was rather uncomfortable as well.

Luckily, coming in at 8 am instead of six guarantees that I'll have some sort of game going, lame as it may be. So the other dealer and I pushed each other out every half-hour until the room got a little busier for the tournament at 11. By then we had enough players to start a second table in addition to the tournament, so we were nice and busy for a few hours.

I made good money yesterday--the tourney ended up paying us each $46 bucks per hour on top of our regular cash-game tokes, so it was a decent day. And I was so tired that I didn't mind one bit when I got sent home at 2 pm.

On the way home, I stopped at the bank for the third day in a row--Tuesday I had to go in and fix my new address information, which didn't take when I updated it a couple weeks back. Wednesday I deposited all my cash, because I was down to like $45 in my checking account and my insurance was going to be auto-debited, so in addition to covering the bills, I figured that I didn't need a wallet full of cash because it'd get frittered away otherwise. And yesterday I had to go and cash the damage deposit refund we got from our old apartment. The property management company had made the check out to me, but mailed it to Rob. So he mailed it back to me, I got it on Wednesday night, and deposited it yesterday. And his cut goes back in the mail this morning.

That was a nice surprise, getting back the full deposit from the apartment. First of all, I figured it would take at least a month, and secondly, I thought they'd hold back a hundred bucks for carpet cleaning and paint and such. But nope--they gave it all back, and we used it to pay all of our final utility bills and split the difference. So I spent my Thursday night writing checks and licking envelopes. Thrilling, huh?

Anyhow, I've been such a good customer at the bank lately, that when my 'usual' teller saw me standing in line yesterday, she called me by name and took me ahead of everyone, making some excuse about how she 'fixed my account' out loud to placate all the people ahead of me giving me dirty looks. Heh. I guess all that flirting this week has paid off...

So once I finally got home, I fixed myself a tall cold glass of DCWL*, went upstairs, cranked up the AC and the ceiling fans, and promptly fell asleep, completely forgetting about my drink sweating on the desk. And, like a dumbass, I slept through until around 10 pm, and now I'm wide awake--and my alarm is set to go off in five hours.

Tomorrow is going to be another one of those long days. But I'm going to force myself to sleep tonight, regardless of how perky I feel. The only bummer is that I haven't had anything to eat since yesterday at 7:30 in the morning, and I'm starving. But I don't want to eat anything and then try to sleep, so I guess I'll just go hungry and have an early breakfast in a few hours. And I'll try and remind myself to have some lunch and/or dinner tomorrow, too.

As hungry as I am, and even though I know I should be sleeping, what I'm really craving right now is a cup of good coffee. I haven't had any coffee, except the occasional venti Starbucks offering at work, since I tossed out my old coffeemaker during the move. We have a coffeemaker here at the house, obviously, but I don't have any filters, and I don't wanna be 'that guy' and use up my roommate's stuff. Plus, I've been working early in the morning, and if I go down and start banging around in the kitchen at 4 am, it'll send the dogs into a frenzy, knowing somebody was up and available to play, so it would wake up my roommate. So morning coffee at home hasn't been an option.

So I've decided that my next purchase is gonna be a new coffeemaker for my bedroom--that way I can make a pot any time I want it without creating any noise downstairs. I'm also going to buy a mini-fridge for my room, and then I'll be set. I can fill up my Britta water pitcher (one of the greatest inventions, ever!) in the bathroom, keep water and Coke in the fridge, and not have to trudge up and down the stairs refilling my coffee cup. Plus I won't be disturbing my roommate. If tomorrow is a good toke day, I'll probably stop by Target on the way home and get both the fridge and the coffeemaker. If not, well, I guess I'll wait a few days.

But now it's time to turn off the light and force myself to sleep for a couple of hours--hopefully something interesting will happen this weekend and I'll have stuff to write about. Otherwise, I think I'll just do a little photo safari around the new house.


Mikey


*Diet Coke with Lime

No comments: