Thursday, May 10, 2007

Winding Down the Weekend

I'm sitting here under the cool breeze of my fan, sipping a frosty brew, and enjoying the last few hours of precious freedom before I head back to work later tonight. It's been an enjoyable two days off, although I didn't get quite as much accomplished as I'd hoped.

Tuesday night was the grill/campfire night, with Dave P in attendance. Normally when he comes to town, we knock a restaurant or two off of my to-do list, but our schedules this time wouldn't allow it. So he came by the house and hung out with Rob and I for the evening. It was the usual menu--meat on the grill, beer, smores for dessert. We did brats again, and again they turned out great.

Dave didn't show up empty-handed, either, as he brought along a nice bottle of Argyle Pinot Noir (from Oregon--my fave). Of course, Pinot doesn't really go with brats, so it went into my germinating wine collection (I have four bottles now!). While I was out grocery shopping that day, I picked up a twelve pack of Michelob Light, but cruising down the snack/pop aisle, I picked up a couple of six-packs of IBC Root Beer, too. I haven't had any in years, but it was an impulse buy and sounded especially tasty that afternoon.

Once I got home and unloaded all the groceries, I put a few bottles of IBC in the freezer to super-cool them. We got a late start, so it was well after dark before the guys arrived. I went ahead and started the charcoal long before they got here, and lit up the fire pit a bit later. Anyhow, sitting out there by the fire, I remembered the root beer in the freezer. I got them out just in time--they hadn't gone solid quite yet, but they were getting awfully close.

Damn they tasted good. I downed two of them while waiting for Rob and Dave to show up.

Once we sat down to dinner, I told the guys about the IBC, in addition to having the Michelob on hand. Well, everyone went for the root beer--it was a surprise hit, and that's what we ended up drinking all night.

And the root beer went with the smores just a little bit better than the Michelob. Plus we were using dark chocolate, of which I'm now a huge fan.

Anyhow, that was my Tuesday night. Yesterday was court day, and as much as I wanted to spend the evening outside by the firepit smoking a good cigar, I fell asleep at 8:00 pm in front of the TV, woke up for a bit around 3:30, but then fell asleep again until almost 9:00 am this morning. I can't believe how tired I was. These last few weeks have worn me out--I got very little sleep when Eddie was here, and I think I'm just catching up on it now. Plus the weather is getting hotter, too. Running around out in the sun all day doing errands and projects saps the energy out of me, too.

But summer is on the way, and the daily battle over the thermostat setting with my old-ass roommate, who is always cold, is certain to begin soon. But I have a pool and a fridge full of cold beer.

Somehow, I think I'll manage.

Mikey

No comments: