Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Appointment TV

Ok, now that 24 is over until next January, The Sopranos ends in two weeks, and the latest season of Entourage is winding down, I'm running out of favorite shows to watch on TV. I never "got" Lost, so I'm not part of that legion of fans, and of course I'll never willingly make myself stupider by watching American Idol, so my options are few and far between.

That being said, I absolutely love watching Deadliest Catch on Discovery every Tuesday night, and of course I like the re-runs they show all during the week, too. I don't know why I'm so fascinated by it--maybe it appeals to my youthful wanderlust that steered me to Alaska so many years ago seeking my own fortune, but any adventure story that involves going to sea is certain to raise my interest.

I think the characters are very compelling, and for the most part likable, unlike most 'reality' shows with their token annoying asshole getting all the camera time. There are no real villains here, just the off chance that somebody will get washed overboard and die every week. It doesn't get any more real than that.

I also like that Mike Rowe is the narrator. I dig his show Dirty Jobs, and it seems that he's got the hot voice in advertising these days--he's blowing up and his voice is everywhere. But he does a good job staying in the background, unlike most of the Food Network and Travel Channel hosts who seem to think that they are the content viewers are coming to watch (Mark Di Carlo, please call your office...)

Anyhow, I set my Tivo up to record it every Tuesday night, but I always end up watching it during it's proper time slot. And if they made one in my size, I'd be the first one in line to buy a Cornelia Marie t-shirt. Gotta love Captain Phil--He's like a thinking man's bed-headed Paul Sr., without the ridiculous facial hair and a more judicious use of his bad temper.

Another show I really like, and also record every week, is The Unit. It's on at the same time Deadliest Catch is, but luckily the DVR can multi-task. It's a great action show, made by people who don't seem to have a political agenda. Oh, and the chick who plays Tiffy--good solid milfy talent, and she and her crew would totally kick the asses of all those bitches who live over on Wysteria Lane.

Not that it would happen, but if that matchup ever made it to Pay-Per-View, that Cornelia Marie t-shirt might have to wait a couple weeks.

Mikey

No comments: