Monday, January 15, 2007

Recap: Two Down, Twenty Two To Go

The first thing I did once I got home this morning was fire up the DVR, giving a brief Thank You prayer to the Flying Spaghetti Monster for making sure that there was no power outage or other technical gremline last night which might've kept me from recording the two-hour premiere of 24.

Having seen it, I offer a few thoughts: (If you haven't seen it yet, quit reading NOW--there may be spoilers ahead!!)

Twenty months in China? Good Lord, that's a lot of fast-forwarding. I still wanna know what happened with The First Rack and her Secret Service Man-Crush from last season, now that her husband is off paying for his sins in some Federal country-club lockup.

Kumar is a terrorist??? WTF??? He seemed so likeable when he was getting high and riding that cheetah.

At least we were spared the Audrey soap opera for now. Every hero needs a wet-blanket wife/girlfriend/significant other. Rocky had Adrian (You can't win!), Mike McD had Jo (Tell me you were at Scores getting lapdances...), and Jack Bauer has Audrey.

No Audrey is cool, but no Elisha Cuthbert, not so much...

Oh yeah, the President's sister getting arrested by the FBI. I'm *sure* that would happen.

Hey, the CTU bosses got hitched up. Good for them. Karen needed to get laid.

Wait, is Chloe's ex-husband supposed to be gay, or what? Seriously, he was a shoe salesman and now he's back to being an uber-geek with top secret clearance, but he still acts like Christopher Lowell? I'm confused.

I like the whole hero/anti-hero thing Jack has going on with the terrorist guy. What's better than one loose cannon breaking protocol and ignoring the rules to get things done? TWO loose cannons! Doubling the mayhem is always cool. But you know Curtis wants to kick a little ass this season, so he's probably jealous...

How do I get my cell phone to ring like the phones at CTU? Anybody know where I can buy that ringtone?

Looking at Jack's back when he took his shirt off, I asked myself Where did the Chinese guys keep him for all this time? On an 18th century British Man-O-War? Did they use a cat-o-nine-tails on him after they ate all the meaty parts?

It's good to see the little squirrely guy from Ally McBeal playing the role of the token monumental jackass in the Administration. Glad he landed on his feet after that gig ended. I wonder if he'll start stuttering if Portia De Rossi makes a cameo.

Did you see the look Jack gave the Chinese guy when he got off the plane? You think that guy's got a serious ass-kicking coming to him sometime in the future?

Hey, after only four seasons, they finally got around to making Muslims the bad guys. I can't believe they would do that to such devout followers of the Religion of Peace. I mean, geez, it's almost like portraying Buddhists as a bunch of gang-bangers. Nothing is too low for Hollywood anymore.

I didn't know there was a subway in Los Angeles!

Kumar's little neighbor friend seemed just a bit too needy and clingy. I was kind of hoping he'd bust a cap in him instead of the redneck guy. By the way, scriptwriters, high school guys don't give each other friendship bracelets/necklaces/whatever. Unless they want to get their ass kicked for being gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was most impressed with Jack's Hannibal Lecter-esque escape from the bad guys. I guess after two years of Chinese food he was in the mood for a little middle eastern cuisine.

That's about it for now, and it goes without saying that I can't wait to see tonight's episode. I doubt I'll post any comments/reaction about it, but I'll certainly stay up and watch it as soon as I get home in the morning, regardless of how tired I am.

Mikey

No comments: