Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Hype

The Super Bowl is still what, ten days(?) away, and I'm already tired of the crapola on ESPN. Here are a couple of my more major gripes:

Listening to Dan Patrick on the radio this week, him and the human turd Keith Olbermann keep harping on the fact that Tank Johnson of the Chicago Bears was arrested for having (gasp) an assault rifle and over 500 rounds of ammunition in his home. They keep saying 500 rounds of ammunition like the guy was planning to go postal in a local fast-food joint or something. I got news for you northeastern lib-tards out there--Sitting here at my desk, I have over two thousand rounds of Russian AK-47 ammunition within arm's reach. Out here in the freedom-loving and individual-responsibility-centric American West, lots of folks keep assault rifles on hand and have a lot more than just 500 rounds on hand. In fact, I have a box of 525 rounds of .22 ammunition sitting ON MY NIGHTSTAND at this moment. And I don't think I'm any danger to society. And I'm not breaking any laws, either. I'm certainly not planning on packing a lunch, climbing a tower, and spending the day picking off random pedestrians either. And I also think that if it were possible to get a true census among my roommates and neighbors, I'd be at the low end of the scale when it comes to firearms possession.

Of course, Tank Johnson made the mistake of living in Chicago, where only the wealthy or politically connected are allowed to own firearms, so of course he's portrayed as a gun-toting nutcase. Whatever. Keith and Dan need to just shut the hell up and stick with what they do best, talking about sports highlights. There are already enough ill-informed idiots on the radio talking about politics and social issues.

Also, I'm already sick of the whole 'Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith are the first black head coaches to go to the Super Bowl' story. Big deal. I don't give two shits about what color they are. I'm guessing most other people don't either. Are they good coaches? Can they motivate their players to do their best? Can they come up with a good game plan and manage the clock? Yes? Ok, then who cares what color they are. Get over it already. I'm sure they both would much rather be known as just plain old Great Football Coaches, and not Great Black Football Coaches. I wish the media would learn this and just get over it. Seriously--we all know what they look like. We don't need to keep being reminded of what color they are.

I don't know if I can handle ten more days of this nonsense before the game kicks off. By then I'll be good and ready for the commercials, and I'm guessing this will be one of those snoozer Super Bowls anyways--over by halftime.

Mikey

No comments: