Wednesday, June 02, 2010

If This Is Foreplay, I'm a Dead Man

It was nice to finally be able to get some sleep last night--I really needed it. I'd called down to Job #2 to get my new schedule yesterday afternoon, with the secondary purpose of trying to weasel my way out of being On Call last night, too. Well, the schedule wasn't ready, but I was told that if I wanted to work that I should call in around 5:30 or so and let them know, otherwise, if I didn't get a phone call by around 6:00 o'clock, I'd be free for the night.

I sure as hell didn't want to work--after all of my running around yesterday--so there was no way I was gonna call in. I did, however, set my alarm for 5:30, just in case, but the phone never rang. I ended up sleeping from about 4:00 pm yesterday afternoon until almost 2:00 o'clock this morning. It was wonderful.

I was so tired because of all the running around I did yesterday--I was up early and down at Job #1 getting all my gaming registration squared away. That only took about a half an hour, and then I headed over to the AT&T Device Support Center on the west side to get my phone replaced. It was actually very quick, easy, and painless. It's like they knew that LG Xenon phones were total pieces of shiat, and I was in and out of there in less than fifteen minutes, with a brand new replacement phone in hand. It didn't cost me a dime, either. Oh, and they were able to retrieve my contacts and such from the old phone, although I was told that LG was the one kind of phone that they can't hook up to their magic machine and pull data from. They had to do it manually, which included prying the touch-screen face off of the old phone and using push-pins on the interface like a voodoo doll, but they managed to get everything copied onto my sim card and transferred over. Whew!

So even though I thought that my old LG was a piece of shiat, my new one seems to work a whole lot better (probably has something to do with the fact that there isn't an air bubble in the middle of the touch screen), so I'm glad to have it. And if it breaks, it's still under warranty until December.

Once that little chore got done, I took a drive up the Strip to Job #2a. Yes, I had to go to the HR department at a completely different casino--different than the one I applied at, different than the one I auditioned at, different than the one I work at--to get my employee ID badge that will allow me to swipe in and out and have access to all the locked doors and such. But once I found my way through the labyrinth of their back offices, it only took a couple of minutes to take care of business.

I never made it out to NY Pizza and Pasta for lunch--the AT&T store was at Decatur and Sahara, and the restaurant was further west, on Jones and Sahara, and I didn't feel like venturing further out into the frontier yesterday, so I just did all my errands first. I ended up having an overpriced ham & cheese panini at Sierra Gold, which, oh by the way, doesn't come with sides, so my fruit salad cost me extra. Rat bastards.

After lunch, I stopped at the bank to put a grand in my checking account and I got lucky and found an extra hundred bucks! I'd just grabbed the wad of bills from the coffee can, certain that there was exactly a thousand dollars there, and I filled out the deposit slip before I left the house. I folded it all up together, and when I got to the teller window, I just pulled the whole mess out of my wallet and laid it on the counter.

Of course I got the old teller that I hate, because she's so slow, and she proceeded to count all the money. Twice. And then she did it again... Then she handed me back a hundred bucks and said Sir, you've got too much here--your deposit slip says a thousand dollars but you gave me $1100.

What? Score!

She then counted it out again for me to see, out loud this time, and yep, I had an extra hundred bucks. Talk about found money--Besides the free phone replacement, that made my whole day!

So as tired as I was, I was in a much better mood when I made it back here to the apartment complex and wrote out the rent check for June. I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to straighten up the house and do laundry, but I gave up and fell asleep on the couch not too long after that.

That brings us to this morning--I'm wide awake and well-rested, but I have about four loads of laundry to fold and put away, plus a few white shirts to iron. Then I've got to scrub the bathroom and vacuum the apartment in preparation for tonight. I'm on call, but I'm betting that I don't get called in, so the gang is coming over tonight for cocktails and Chinese poker. I need to come up with some sort of suitable snacks to serve, and I'm also out of ice and tequila, so trip to the grocery store is in order, too.

Oh, and when I got up this morning, there was an email from Job #2 waiting for me in my inbox. If I manage to avoid the call-in tonight, I'm off until Saturday night. But then, I'm gonna get worked like a ten-dollar hooker during Fleet Week. I have four days in a row where I'm doing doubles, working eight-hour shifts at both jobs, then on Wednesday I only have to work at Job #1, and next Thursday I'm off completely from both places. Then it's back to doing doubles again.

I'm gonna be a zombie by then, and I'll probably spend my entire time off--40 hours (7:00 pm Wednesday until 11:00 am Friday)--in bed, alone, with nothing but a bottle of Gatorade to keep me company. But that's ok--I wouldn't have the strength to do much of anything else...


No comments: