Monday, June 07, 2010

About Those 16-Hour Days I Was Worried About

Yeah--Not so much...

While it looked scary on paper, the reality has fallen a bit short so far. And I'm totally ok with that!

I did a ridiculously long day at Job #1 on Saturday (my first day), and again, I went the entire shift without getting a break. Yep, we were that busy. It really sucked because I had those first-day jitters the night before, and I couldn't sleep at all. I was awake from 2:00 am, just lying in bed trying to sleep, but it never came. And that really sucks, knowing that you have a 16-hour day ahead of you.

So I was tired when I got to the first job, and working my ass off the entire day didn't help at all. And then, later that evening when I hustled my way down the Strip to get to job #2, I was thinking, Man, there ain't no way I'm gonna make it until 3:00 o'clock in the morning...

Luckily for me, they'd over-scheduled on Saturday night, so they asked for volunteers as to who wanted to go home, and I couldn't raise my hand fast enough. At first I thought I'd work an hour, but then after a few minutes, the last of the tournament tables started breaking down and suddenly there were two more extra dealers. So I got sent home after about ten minutes. Woot! Normally I'd be pissed, because not dealing those cash games means at least $200 in tips I'm giving up, but I was dead man walkin' and would've gladly paid a Benjamin out of my pocket for a cold bottle of Gatorade and three hours of quality time with my pillow.

So I scurried out of there before they could change their minds and I was home in bed by 9:30--out like a light. And I must've been really passed out, because the next morning I saw that I'd missed a call at 10:00 o'clock--one of my gals lookin' for some of that special Mikey attention... Either that, or she just wanted somebody to go drinkin' and pokerin' with on a Saturday night. Anyhow, I was down for the count, and I slept for ten hours straight. It was wonderful.

I made it back down to Job #1 early on Sunday morning, and I found out a couple of interesting things. First of all, out of all the extra dealers they hired, the vast majority of them were straight out of dealing school--no experience whatsoever. That really helps my chances of getting one of those full-time slots when all this madness is over next month. Besides, every table I pushed in to, the players were lovin' me and complimenting me because I was "the first dealer that knows what the f*ck you're doing", as I was told a few times. Every time I heard that, I told the person who said that Yeah, you see that dude up there at the desk in the brown suit? Yeah--go tell him that... One or two of them did, and I got some good feedback from the boss later in the day. So I'm off to a good start.

Also, at job #1, we've got so many games going, that we can actually sign up for which ones we want to deal when we first come in. I dealt a metric ass-load of 'not hold-em' on my first day, so on my second day I took a little brain break and went with No-Limit Hold-em for my entire shift. I used to say that I could deal 4-8 in my sleep, but after a few days of Omaha split, PLO, Hi-Low Stud, and various other whacked-out games, dealing No-Limit is like a walk in the park, Kazansky.

Anyhow, I'm really diggin' Job #1, and although they're working me like a mule, I don't mind at all. I'll sign up and volunteer for all of the complicated games, and let all the rookies deal the simple ones. The bosses will remember me once decision time comes around. Also, on Sunday, they were a bit overstaffed, too, and started asking for volunteers to go home early after a few hours. I offered to make it easier on them and said that I'll bounce after the next table breaks, killing two birds with one stone--making it easier on them, and giving myself time for a nap before my swing shift at Job #2.

I don't care if it costs me a few bucks up front, because one, I could use the extra rest, and two, I want them to remember who was the most flexible and willing to work with them once they decide who to keep around. I'm not gonna be one of these rookies complaining that they're not getting enough downs or saying that they're getting screwed. There's a method to my madness, that's for sure.

So anyhow, I was worried to death that I'd be worked to death this weekend, and that's not the case. Besides, the next couple of nights I'm sure that they'll be sending us temps packing after four hours or so at Job #2, so I doubt that I'll have to do even one 16-hour shift this week, even though I was scheduled for four of them.

It all seems to be working out, at least as far as I can tell.

I wish I had more to talk about, but right now, all I do is work and sleep--I've got no good stories to tell. Except for this--Gus Hansen is a lot taller than I thought he was, and Phil Helmuth is about ten times less of a dickhead when there are no TV cameras around.

Time to charge the batteries, though--I've got another '16-hour' day ahead of me...



No comments: