Friday, April 17, 2009

Sunburn Weather

Man, what a beautiful day in Vegas! It's sunny and cool outside, the perfect day for golfing or just riding around in a convertible with no particular place to go. But what am I doing? I'm making the supreme sacrifice by holing up in my fortress of solitude and hammering away at the keyboard, working on another lengthy post for your reading enjoyment. I'd rather be outside sipping a cold one and watching the world go by.

But all is not lost--I've got a tall frosty beverage on the nightstand, and I've got all the windows and doors up here on the second floor wide open, letting a slight breeze blow through and freshen up the place. It's not a bad gig today, being an uncompensated writer.

Yesterday, I did nothing but sleep once I got home. After I made that last post, I took a hot shower, put on some sweats and an old t-shirt, and hit the sack. I think I was snoring before my head hit the pillow. Around 9 pm or so, I woke up to the phone ringing--it was the poker room, asking if I might be able to come in. I was pretty much out of it, but coherent enough to tell them that I couldn't work because I was scheduled today at noon. While I would've preferred a swing shift instead of a day shift, I was more than happy to remain in bed. That being settled, I went back to sleep and snoozed until 5:30 this morning. Damn near 13-and-a-half hours of sleep at once, and I enjoyed every bit of it!

Once I woke up and stretched, I pulled myself out of bed and put a pot of coffee on. I started writing, and kept at it until almost 11, when I had to get ready for work. Yeah, it's gonna be a long read, folks--kinda like those old trip reports from when I used to visit Vegas before I lived here.

Anyhow, once I got to work today at noon, it didn't look too promising. There were two short-handed cash games going, and the private tournament that we were hosting (that I was specifically scheduled to deal), didn't get the anticipated turnout--they only had enough people show up to run one table. I ended up going on the first break, then doing one half-hour down at the cash game.

At 1:00 o'clock we still had three tables going, but the tournament was gonna break soon, and we had six dealers. So when I got pushed off of the cash game, I told the floorman that I'd take the bullet and go home if he needed to send somebody. The money was gonna suck anyways, and I'd spend as much time on break as I would dealing, so I figured I'd let my co-workers earn a little more. He told me to go ahead and go home right then--even with me gone he'd still have too many bodies and not enough tables. Besides, I told him, I'd been making a killing at the tables over the past month or so, so I didn't need the shift. But I told him to remember my volunteering to throw my body on the payroll grenade the next time I'm hurting for hours and don't have any money in my pocket. He said that he would, and with that, I headed for the exit.

So, for my hour of work, I did a half-hour down in a 4-8 game and made $18 in tips, and then called it a day.

When I got out to my truck, Reverend Dave was calling--he was sitting in the airport in Houston and his flight was delayed, so he was kinda bored and wanted me to entertain him. So I sat in my truck and we laughed our asses off, telling stories for about 20 minutes. It was good to hear from him, but he had to finally get on the plane, and I had to head home, so we wrapped it up.

I stopped at the grocery store to get a few essentials on the way home, but now that I'm back at the house, I'm pretty much locked down at the keyboard until I finish that long post about my recent adventures. I'm not scheduled to work again for the rest of the weekend, so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do tonight. Of course I want to go play some cards, but staying home and going to bed early has an appeal all it's own. Last night was just what I needed, and another dose of that medicine would be just fine with me.


No comments: