Saturday, April 18, 2009
The Easy Eight
After that latest epic post, it's time for a little brain candy. Linda Lou tagged me with this the other day, but I haven't had time to do it until this weekend, so here goes.
8 Things I am looking forward to:
1) Jimmy Buffett in Phoenix. Going to hang out with my gang for a couple of days next month, drink lots of margaritas, lounge by the pool, grill some steaks, and oh yeah, sit in the grass out at Desert Sky Pavilion one night singing along with Brother Jimmy. It's one of my all-time favorite things to do. It should be a wonderful getaway for a couple of days.
2) The World Series of Poker Casino Employees no-limit tourney. I've been wanting to do this for four years now, and this year I finally have the time, money, and opportunity. That's just over a month away, and I can't wait. I may fall flat on my ass, but at least I can say that I've been there.
3) The 3rd Annual Binion's Poker Classic. It's kinda like a poor man's WSOP, and runs concurrently, but the action is good and all of the tournaments are affordable. Besides, I got to two final tables last year, too. Word around the campfire is that Dougie will be joining me for a couple of days and we'll play in two events.
4) The Sibling Revelry Cruise. This is in October, and all of my sisters are booked. I haven't done so yet, but I will soon. I need another visit to the Caribbean, stat!
5) Christmas in Nashville. For the first time in four years, I'll have time off over the holidays. Oh yeah, I also found out this week I am no longer the lowest man on the totem pole at work--they hired a new extra board dealer, so my portion of the shiat sandwich just got smaller.
6) Moving. Not that I'm looking forward to moving--I hate it, plus I'm not sure where I'm moving to, yet. But I'll be glad when it's over. I'm looking forward to being done and not having to worry about it anymore.
7) My next visit to Grimaldi's. It's been a few weeks--far too long, and I'm getting a craving. Hell, I might do that for lunch today!
8) Cyndi's next visit to Vegas. My sister is gonna be out here on business in a couple of weeks, staying at Caesars Palace, so I'm gonna be hanging out with her for a couple of days. While she's in her meetings, I'll be hitting the various poker rooms down there on the center Strip, and at night we'll partake some Vegas-style buffoonery.
8 Things I did yesterday:
1) Missed the Adam Carolla podcast. It's a daily ritual for me, but I was too busy to get around to it on Friday. But it's still there today, and the guest is Danica Patrick. I'll get to it sometime this weekend.
2) Wrote for about six hours. Yep, that big-ass post below this one took me almost six hours to write and edit. I hope y'all appreciate the work that goes into a big ol' brain dump like that.
3) One load of laundry. I have about five more to go, but like an actor trying to get into character, I'm asking myself What's my motivation?
4) Worked, if you could call it that. I was only there for an hour, and half of that time I was on break. It was one of those days where it would've just been better to stay home.
5) Went to the grocery store. Since I'm trying to empty the pantry completely before I get out of here, I've been doing an unofficial boycott of the grocery stores and either eating at work or eating out. But as much as I love rum, I can't drink it straight. And one must keep salsa on hand at all times, too.
6) Got some more sleep. Yep, Thursday was the system re-charger after two or three days of running myself ragged, but Friday was where I made a deposit in the sleep-bank. I didn't get 13 and a half hours in, but I sure gave it the old college effort.
7) Paid my insurance. Remember when times were tight just before March Madness and I arranged to skip a month of premiums, doubling down this month? Yeah, I paid that bill yesterday.
8) Used my coffeemaker for the first time in three weeks. Yep, it'd been sitting idle for almost a month, but yesterday morning I fired it up and drank an entire pot while writing.
8 Things I wish I could do:
1) Write and play poker for a living. Not there yet.
2) Two chicks at the same time! Kimmy and Beth, specifically...
3) Win a bracelet.
4) Get to the ocean more often.
5) Stop raising with Ace-King
6) Instantly have all of my stuff moved to a new place with the snap of my fingers. I am *not* looking forward to hauling all this shiat back down the stairs.
7) Find a good dentist who doesn't charge much. Having no insurance sucks.
8) Come up with a good idea for a book, and enough content to make it worthwhile.
8 Shows I watch:
2) The Unit
4) The Deadliest Catch
5) Around the Horn
6) Pardon The Interruption
7) No Reservations
8 Of my favorite meals:
1) A pepperoni and mushroom pizza at Grimaldi's
2) French onion soup, broiled sea scallops, wild mushroom risotto
3) Grilled ribeye, loaded baked potato, sauteed onions and mushrooms, Oregon Pinot
4) Chicken fried steak and eggs, with hashbrowns and toast
5) Mamasan's meatloaf, mashed potatoes, peas, and corn muffins
6) Pork tenderloin, spinach salad, and crescent rolls at Amy's house
7) French toast and bacon
8) Chili dogs with cheese and onions
Posted by Hurricane Mikey at 11:36 AM