Monday, September 20, 2010

Still On The Mend

Hey gang--I was hoping to have a nice long update ready to go this morning, but I just didn't have the strength. I know people have been concerned that I haven't posted since Friday, but all is well.

First of all, I finally got out of the hospital on Saturday afternoon. Scottie came and picked me up, and of course they won't allow you to walk out--you've got to go in a wheelchair. But once I got all unhooked (I was good and ready for that tube in my neck to come out!) and cleaned up and dressed, I was chomping at the bit to bid farewell to Vanderbilt Medical Center.

Of course, I looked like I'd been beaten up, covered with bruises as I was and walking like a zombie, but the first order of business was to stop at the WalMart pharmacy and get my prescriptions (all six of them!). That was a tough stop--it wore me out to walk around there and play the waiting game.

Once we got back to the house, I just parked myself in the living room chair and chilled for the rest of the evening, happy to be home. My first meal, celebrating getting sprung from the joint, was a piece of toast with olive oil and avocado. And then I went to bed early.

I finally got my computer hooked up and on the secure network yesterday, and after getting settled in, I felt much better. In fact, I'm getting better by the minute--I can actually feel it. But I've got a ways to go and I'm still very tired, so I haven't been spending much time on the computer at all. Maybe if I get a full-night's sleep tonight, I'll get up early and hit the keyboard first thing in the morning.

Anyhow, today was my first 'normal' day of convalescing, and even though Scottie and Amy had to go to work, Mamasan drove down to make sure I was taken care of. Plus, I had to go back down to the 'Coumadin Clinic' at Vanderbilt and get my blood tested--and I can't drive myself, so Mamasan had to come down and drive me in my truck (ain't no way I can fold myself into her subcompact Nissan).

That visit didn't take very long, and after it was taken care of, we ran a few errands while we were out. That wore my ass out and I've been parked here in the chair ever since we got back home.

(Sorry that this post sounds so scattered, but I'm beat and under the influence of several pills, so it's tough to maintain any sense of coherency this afternoon).

Anyhow, I know people were worried, so I thought I'd put up a few quick words before I fell asleep. More tomorrow--maybe by then I'll start making sense!

Mikey

No comments: