Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Live Bloggin' From the Hospy!

Hey gang! Even though I don't feel like a million bucks, I'm gonna fake it for a few minutes and see how long I can type before I pass out.

I'm still here in the Intensive Care Unit at the medical center of my new favorite SEC campus. Not so much because I need constant supervision and care, but mostly because there still aren't any 'normal' rooms available in their step-down unit. So I'm camped out in the ICU for now. But I'm not complaining--the nurses and staff here are top-notch and they're all taking care of me like I'm the only patient in the entire hospital.

Word around the campfire is that I *may* get to go home tomorrow, but that's just scuttlebutt. Nothing official yet. But I still feel like a run-over bag of doggie poo, so I don't care what they do with me as long as it doesn't hurt. And oh dear god they've put a hurtin' on me this week. You have no idea. My arms have been stuck with so many needles that they are more solid purple than an eggplant. And I still have a few wires going in and out, too. Luckily the chest tubes are gone, and I got uncorked from the catheter this morning, too, so now I can pee like a normal person again, instead of having one of my scrub-wearin' homies lugging around a warm forty behind me everywhere I go.

The bottom line is, I'm on the mend, and it's nothing short of miraculous. Even my surgeon, as skilled as he is, had his doubts that I'd make it till Saturday morning, but he's got some mad skillz and I've got my second chance. I was talking to him yesterday, and he said he took two complete handfuls of goo out of my arteries that had passed through my heart--it was a serious blockage. But enough about that now--it's all behind me. They followed up by shoving a filter into my jugular vein that'll seek and destroy any other nefarious blood clots that decided they want to take a shot at me.

So yeah, right now I'm kinda lookin' like Frankenstein, with a huge scar down my chest and a friggin tube sticking out of my neck, but I'll be back to my normal pretty self within a day or two.

Anyhow, that's the latest--I'm just resting here for the day, entertaining the odd visitor (Cyndi's here right now). I want to say thanks to everyone who has sent books, magazines, and good thoughts my way--it's all appreciated. But I can't keep up this crazy pace all morning, so I'm gonna get some rest. Y'all have a good one, and GO VANDERBILT--WOOT!

Mikey

No comments: