Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Hump Day Update, and Photos!

Good morning everyone!  I'm feeling pretty good this morning, and I think it has to do with the fact that I finally quit 'fighting' my medication and got some real sleep.  I've always been reluctant to take medicine, and when I was in the hospital I got a stern talking-to from the nurses in the ICU because I'd never ask for pain medicine, and then one morning I woke up in extreme discomfort and they got after me for trying to be, in their words, 'a tough guy'.  After that, they hooked me up to the I.V. pain medication with the little thumb-activated thingy so that I could get relief whenever I needed it, so I took advantage of that for a few days.  Since that little episode I've been taking the pain medication regularly and it's helped a lot.

On the other hand, it makes me very sleepy, and I hate that.  I would doze off constantly, and since I didn't like that, I'd fight it and try to stay awake all the time and it seemed like I've been in a constant fog and just out of it during the day.  Yesterday, I think it came to a head.

My brother Tim was up here in the area to do a quick job on one of the houses he's working on (he owns a remodeling business), and so he stopped by to pick me up so we could go to lunch together.  I'm quickly becoming a huge fan of Brew House 100, which is just down the road from Amy and Scottie's place, so we went there to eat.  They had an awesome Mahi-Mahi and shrimp sandwich as their daily special, and since grilled fish is right at the top of the Mikey-can-have list, that's what we ordered (and it was damn good, too!).  After lunch, I went with him over to the jobsite with him because he said it would just be a quick stop, and it was a nice day and I felt like it would be good to get out of the house anyways.

So while he was doing his thing, I wandered around outside for a bit, but after just a few minutes, I had to sit down--I felt like I was going to pass out.  Not like a sickly passing out, more like I just needed a nap RIGHT NOW.  So I got in the truck, leaned back, and dozed for a bit in the sunshine while I waited for Tim to finish up.

Once he got done in the house, he drove me back home and dropped me off.  As soon as I got back here, I immediately went to bed and fell asleep, hard.  Of course, my phone kept ringing, Amy and Mamasan called a couple times to tell me random stuff, but I know it was a guise to check up on me.  I have no idea what we talked about, but I know that I was completely out of it and probably made no sense at all.  I ended up sleeping for almost three hours, and it did me a world of good.

I skipped out completely on our previous plan of going to the dog park when Amy got home from work that evening, and she was concerned that I was getting sick or something, but it turned out that all I needed was some intense rest.  It made all the difference in the world.

While she was out, she picked up some Chinese take-out, and although the egg roll and sweet-n-sour pork might not have been the ideal choice, I did better with lo mein and veggie fried rice.  But a long nap and a good meal made it much easier to take my twice-daily handful of pills, and I felt much better after that.  And I got over six hours of uninterrupted sleep later that night, too, which made the pain medication that much more effective.  I guess the lesson to be learned here is that I shouldn't fight the medicine--if I'm tired, I'm going to bed, no use trying to stay awake for no good reason.  Sleep, exercise, and good food are the recipe for getting better, but sometimes the stubborn part of me needs to learn lessons the hard way before they stick.

Anyhow, like I said, I'm feeling much better today.  I woke up before the alarm so that I could make a pot of good coffee for Amy & Scottie before they headed off to work (I gotta earn my keep around here), and now I'm just enjoying a pleasant Tennessee morning.  I have no place I have to go today, no urgent chores I have to take care of, no calls to make, and nobody to meet up with all day.  I get to relax.  It's only about 60 degrees outside, but it's sunny, and once I get some breakfast in me and take my meds, I'm gonna go for my morning walk.

Today I'm going to expand my walking horizon and leave the backyard and cul-de-sac, because due to the miracle of Google Earth, I found out that there is a nice out-of-the-way dead-end street just a block away from here, and I think it's close to a half-mile or so if I walk the entire way out and back.  Actually, it may be longer than that, but I think I'm up to it.  I'm taking my walking stick for support (it's amazing how much it helps), and I'll have my cell phone with me in case I overdo it, but the trick is figuring out where halfway to my absolute limit is, and then turning around at that point and coming back home.

It would be fun to take the pugs with me, but they are much too curious and playful to be good 'walking' dogs.  Oh, they love to walk, but I can't handle both of them on the leash at the same time, they get tangled up all the time and walking becomes a chore.  So I'm going to leave them here at the house and go solo.

Speaking of the pugs, here are a few pictures of them, plus a few other photos from the past week that I want to share:

Here's a close-up of Bertha and Lord Vader.  Cute aren't they?

And while they love to take over the old couch in the den, they much prefer to sleep on people instead of furniture.  I took this photo on Saturday when Reverend Dave was here.  I think we were watching the Alabama/Arkansas game at the time, but the puglets were using him as a bed.

Berth's little underbite grill just cracks everybody up.  Also, she feels like she must sleep right up under your chin all the time, so she's always up in your face.  And since my blood thinners make me bruise easily, I have several paw-sized bruises all over my chest and stomach this week from where she walks on me when I'm dozing in the chair.

This pic is of me and the siblings.  Well, five out of the six of us--Nancy wasn't here this past weekend (she's in Texas).  We were celebrating Sherry's 50th birthday and had a big family gathering on Saturday night.  That's Mikey, Cyndi, Amy, Sherry, and David.

Me and my brothers!  Reverend Dave, Scottie, Mikey, Tim, and Steve.  I really like this pic, and we're a good looking crew, if I do say so myself...

Anyhow, that's the news from here today.  It's a beautiful morning outside and I feel good.  Time to take my drugs and eat some breakfast, then get to enjoying the rest of the day...

Y'all have a good one!


No comments: