Saturday, May 29, 2010

It'll Be Nice Working With Proper Villains Again

Ok, so my first night back in the real world is in the books. And boy are my arms tired...

Seriously--I forgot what it was like to work in a busy poker room! But as much of a workout as it was, it was actually quite refreshing, and it felt good to be busy again--time just flew by for me.

And I could tell that I wasn't in Henderson early on, as I was sitting in traffic on my way in, I followed a Ferrari and two Lamborghinis all the way to the hotel. Oh, and not to mention all the Friday night eye-candy lurking about once I stepped off the elevator.

The funny thing was, at first, I was a bit apprehensive about taking this job--it's not one I applied for, and I didn't know much about the room, and after all, it was Job #2--the other place had all my love and devotion. But I couldn't have been more wrong in my outlook--everyone there was super-friendly and helpful, it was jam-packed busy, and I made huge tips in the no-limit games! Of course I sweat my ass off (it seemed hot as hell in there) and I walked about a dozen miles, but it was all good. I can tell that I'm really gonna enjoy my time there. For as busy a room as it is, everyone is pretty mellow and laid back. And I can't praise the bosses enough--they seem to know what they're doing, which is a nice change a pace from what I'm used to.

Of course, being that it was the first night of having all the temps available, they overscheduled, and at one point they had about nine extra dealers lurking around. So after three hours, they had all of us temps who were on the schedule for Saturday night draw cards, and I got one of the low ones. I wasn't gonna volunteer to go home early, but I certainly didn't complain when I found out I was out early. I'm still a bit weak from my bout of food poisoning (Thank you, Fuddruckers!), and I'd already made a pile of money by the time they started looking for people to send home.

Besides, I was told that they're forecasting Saturday night to be the busiest night ever in the history of that poker room, so I'd be putting in a lot more time on my next shift. Also, as soon as I got home, I had an email from Job #1. I start there next Saturday, and work eight out of the following nine days. Yes--they emailed me my schedule! How nice is that? Seriously, it's the little things like that that make all the difference between working for a shoestring operation and a 'real' casino. So I'm gonna be a busy dude for awhile.

Anyhow, once I pushed from my last table, cashed in my tokes, and signed out, I was tempted to wander the casino a bit and just enjoy the sights of Friday night in Vegas. It had been far too long since I stopped and smelled those roses that drew me here in the first place. But on the other hand, I was much too tired to wander, and I didn't want to just sit at a bar and drink, so after just one lap of the place, I hit the sundries stand and treated myself to an overpriced Gatorade before making my way to the parking garage. I was beat.

The drive home was much easier than the drive 'to', but I wasn't tempted in the least to go out and play cards at one of my usual haunts (although, seeing how juicy some of those games I was dealing were, man, it was tough to just walk away...). So I just came back here to the apartment, kicked off my shoes, and cracked open an icy cold beer.

So if y'all will allow it, I've got about eight episodes of Entourage to catch up on. That's how I'm gonna spend the rest of my Friday night.


No comments: